Lesco in deep do do

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ric, Nov 13, 2001.

1. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I just read an other post where some one said "lesco is all I use"

Fellows it is passed time to start looking for a new supplier. The Lake Erie Supply Company is in red ink up to their eye balls. There might not be a Lesco come Jan 1 2002. Yes I will miss Lesco too. They are right on the corner in every town and they have good products. But they are in default of loan payments and the creditors are calling in their loans.
  2. dhicks

dhicks Member

I have been using Lesco for a few years but most of my trade over the past six months has been with another company. I hate to see Lesco fold because b/w both companies, I had all the bases covered for supplies.
  3. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

They released the current financials on November 1st.
    Stock plummeted 40% by end of trading November 2nd.

They are publicly traded and never have been a big winner. They have enough critical mass and bank rates are low enough for them to survive.

I don't think they'll disappear, but cutbacks and big changes look likely.
  4. Got Grass?

Got Grass? LawnSite Senior Member

Lesco going bye bye?
    Lets just hope we can still get parts....
    If thay do go under, what will happen with warrenties?
    Looks like I may need to stock up on fert, $3 more a bag other places, seed $.30 more LB other places, and pretty much everything else I get from there at great prices compared to everywhere else in the area..... I really hope I'm not stuck buying junk from Home Depot, or Farm & Country, Wall-Mart, Sears or another landscaping company. May have to go to the SOD farm for seed.
    Sadly we have about a thousand landscapers in the area and I guess about 300 soley use Lesco.
  5. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

What Lesco do (did) you use?

I'd hate to see them go. I've been in a few in Florida and Maryland and their service is awsome. Every salesperson has been a pleasure to deal with.

I don't think it'll happen.

I hope they build one closer to me as I have to travel 45 minutes...
  6. dhicks

dhicks Member

Gaithersburg Lesco and Newsom Seed in Rockville. Lesco has always been good to me. Newsom has better seeds and the fertilizers seem better too. I think Newsom gets most of the fertilizers from Labanon. Whoever they get if from it's good stuff.
  7. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Can't miss what you've never had! I hate to see them in trouble cause I was hoping one day in the not too distant future they would build a store close to me. I've never even seen a Lesco Store much less been in one. I do see the trucks from time to time but don't know where they are coming from. Their web site isn't too informative.

Maybe the outlook will improve.
  8. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

Same here, Homer. Never heard of Lesco until LawnSite. ;)
  9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Restructuring may be going to happen, but a large company out of biz is almost impossible. Changes maybe, but hard to believe they will go out of biz.
  10. Got Grass?

Got Grass? LawnSite Senior Member

Lesco tends to hide out, so homeowners cant find them, as thay only sell to Pro's. and dont want everyone coming in not knowing anything and haseling them.
    The one by me is only about 10-15min away, and tucked in the back of a building in a industrial park, w/ only the basic info printed on the door. 1/2 the place is thier shop, 1/2 is the store, parts, supplys, equip, fert, seed, chem, etc...
    In order to buy pest/herb you must provide your applicators licence.
    Shop is messey and thay dont work on snow equip. becasue thay have no floor drains, as DEC & law states no drains if ya store chems.
    This place has the best customer service you can find anywhere in almost any buisiness.
    The guys are really nice and will help ya make the right purchase, based on your needs not how much thay can profit. I swear thay take cources on each pice of euip. and everything else. Off the top of thier head thay can answer what size screw goes in a certin place or almost anything else you can thow at them.
    Prices are great and thay will help you with pricing as well, how much to charge for this fert you just bought, or how much to charge for this aerator you just rented.
    Thay call here all the time asking if everything is running smoothly, ask if I need any kind of servicing, Hydro change, winterizing. Call and let me know of sales, customer regonition days, rash of thefts in the area, new stuff thay got in, etc....
    You can set up an account with them, so the employees you choose can pick stuff up when needed.
    Thay dont sell anything that is homeowner grade or scrubs use.

Damn, I hope thay dont go bye bye... Hmm, Thay sould pay me for this post...