Lesco/Kawasaki 17HP V-Twin Engine Problems

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by F&F Lawncare, Dec 2, 2007.

1. F&F Lawncare

F&F Lawncare LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I was wondering if anybody could help me? I have a Lesco 52" belt drive walk behind with a Kawasaki V-twin 17 hp motor. Here's the problem. Staring a few weeks ago, the mower is losing power and stalling when trying to engauge the blades. After a few tries it will engauge the blades, but no be at a high idle, and then about 0 to 30 seconds later it will bump the rpms up to where it should be and run fine :dizzy:. What are some causes of this. Also if you turn the idle down low the rpm's go up and down. It has new plugs, air filter.....etc. Any idea's please let me know. Thanks
  2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Could be a coil failing dropping one cylinder or trash/water in the carb or both.
  3. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Right on with RR's suggestions and in addition, if the surging continures when you go from low to high speed don't rule out governor problems. I fought one a couple of months ago that wouldn't even out and finally discovered a badly worn governor cup(plate). The bosses on the governor ball retainer were badly worn and actually one was partially sheared off.

4. bigmower1

bigmower1 LawnSite Member

I believe it is the low end air mixture screw. When you run the motor and then engage the blades and the mower slows down, that is usually the problem. I would clean out the carb first before messing with any of the adjustment screw first. Otherwise it could be low compression or a blown bead gasket or even a really dirty air cleaner. Its could also be the governer, check to make sure all the springs and rods are attached and it isnt stuck or tight.