Lesco Leaf Loader

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by LawnscapeMN, Sep 24, 2006.

1. LawnscapeMN

LawnscapeMN LawnSite Member

I have a Lesco Leaf Loader with a 13h.p. Honda. I am pretty sure the engine is shot, even though it is like new. Anyways, I am wondering how hard or easy it is to put a new engine on of bigger size and different brand. I am looking at a 20-something h.p. Kohler, but anyways, any help I would appreciate. THanks

2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

tell us about your current engine ie. will it crank, fire, pop, compression, ect?

3. LawnscapeMN

LawnscapeMN LawnSite Member

The engine pulls freely, has good spark. When I pull it though there is a puffing type sound coming from the side of the cylinder. It won't fire, even if I put a little gas in the plug hole. Other than this the engine looks great, like new. Thanks for taking your time to help.

4. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds like a head gasket. could be a burnt valve to because you say it turns over freely. do you have a compression tester? take a small rubber hose or cut an old garden hose and hold it to your ear and probe the engine to locate the hiss while someone pulls the rope. make sure you remove and ground the plug wire. listen in the muffler,carb and around the head.

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I'm with khouse on the blown head gasket, That is much cheaper than replacing the complete engine.

You can mix some dish soap in a spray bottle and spray around the head gasket area then pull it over a couple times and look for bubbles.