lesco mower wont stay running

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ercrvs24, Mar 14, 2008.

1. ercrvs24

ercrvs24 LawnSite Member

Have hydro lesco, electric start, 19 HP kawasaki. Ran fuel out last year and closed valve in fuel line. After fueling and opening valve, this season, it wont stay running. Pull choke out to start, then wether i push choke back or leave it out, it dies after a few seconds. Any help would be great!
  2. abclawncare

abclawncare LawnSite Member

well first thing is make sure that everthing is open(fuel valve ) i know it sounds stupid but i`ve done it next fuel of course but than check fuel filter should be on the Lft side it should have fuel in it should be clear if it does than try and bleed the system i had this problem last year and all i had to do was take the bowl off under the carb hopfully that helps a little but if those things dont work sound to me that you have a gummed up carb and unless you have taken those apart be for i would take it in.
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yeh it's almost always something silly along those lines, the floats like to stick for some reason and the fuel filter also check the hoses for leaks just to make sure. Replace the air filter and the spark plug, too.
    That's just something I do once / year, always, early spring is a good time then it's less problems later.

Don't forget the oil change but that's after it warms up to OT...
  4. ercrvs24

ercrvs24 LawnSite Member

Yeah, i opened the valve up ( sounds like something id forget to do). The uel filter is only filled about 1/3 with fuel...i never paid attention before to know if that is normal. I'll check the lines too. thanks for the suggestions
  5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Did you run Stabil in the fuel and let it run through prior to shutting valve off?

Today's fuel is pretty crappy and gums up pretty quick with all the alcohol in it.

I prefer using Stabil running them for a bit, shut them off and top off tanks to the very top.

Seems to work better for me that way.
  6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Carburator seals/diaphram probably dried out and got stiff over winter. This is why I don't drain/run out fuel out of engines. I see more problems occour when doing this than with just leaving gas in them with stabilizer all winter. It's possible that once it sits a little while and all the carburator parts re-hydrate with gas, that it may run fine. But it's also possible that there was a tiny bit of fuel left in the carb, even after "running it dry" and it dried on it's own and crusted over, clogging some of the ports.
  7. JohnsonLawn

JohnsonLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I had the same problem with my 19hp Kawa on my Lesco. Changed the fuel filter and problem went away, so try that first.
  8. ontheedge02

ontheedge02 LawnSite Member

Is there an elect wire going to the carb bowl? If so, take the bowl off and make sure the electric valve is moving freely. I had a Honda engine that sat for a while and this valve did not move freely. I moved it back and forth a couple times, put it back together and it ran like a top. It's basically an electric gas shut off valve. I've messed with a lot of these and it's usually something very simple.

Good Luck!
  9. jc1

jc1 LawnSite Bronze Member

On my 36 lesco the safety switch that the blade engagement linkage touchs was out of adjustment and it would start and stall. Look at your safety switches.