lesco mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by paxdog, Jul 10, 2004.

1. paxdog

paxdog LawnSite Member

I've been looking for a 48'' or 52'' walk behind. Mostly checking out exmark because that's what I'm familiar with. However, I saw a brand new, last year model Lesco. 52'' hydro, 19 horse kaw engine for $3700. It seemed to me that this was very cheap. I buy all my chemicals and fert from lesco but I don't know much about their mowers. I need something that can stay on a slope well. Just wondering what you guys thought.

2. MMINC

MMINC LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

From what i have heard mtd makes the mowers for lesco, but a hydro walk is the best thing to mow a slope with.

3. paxdog

paxdog LawnSite Member

i was just wondering if it would perform as well as a exmark or toro. Would like to hear some replies from lesco owners.

4. MMINC

MMINC LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

i have used toros for years and they have always had one of the best cuts especially in wet grass and they are suppose to be putting their new turbo force deck on the walks this coming season, which is the best cutting deck i have used.

5. Old Guy

Old Guy LawnSite Member

We use a Lesco Hydo 36" for fenced lawns. This is the second year and it seems to be just fine. Cut is good, no mechanical problems, (Lesco has a "loaner" if we do have problems), pistol grips make my old fingers a little stiff by the end of the day. I really have no complaints about the mower. We use gator blades and side discharge. Wasn't impressed with the mulch kit.
    Changing oil is a little messy.

6. BMFD92

BMFD92 LawnSite Senior Member

get a bobcat or scag hydro

7. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I owna 48 lesco belt unit but I have been looking at the unit you ask about.

no way you could go wrong with that unit. no way!

and with that 19 KAW on a WB aint nothing gonna stand in your way!

go for it.

GEO :)

8. CTmower

CTmower LawnSite Senior Member
    from CT

52" Ferris Hydro is the best machine ive used to do slopes with. They even have a 3 year 0% APR for commercial accounts. They run around 5700 but are well worth it

9. furball3

furball3 LawnSite Member

I used a Lesco 48" with Kaw engine for 5 years & loved that machine. IF it hadnt been stolen I would still be using it today.

It was a belt drive. Always started & ran fine. Changing oil was messy though.

IT handled the few small hills I had to mow just fine. But around here in farming country even the hills are flat..

10. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

you aren't kidding! but that is a minor issue and could be dealt with with a short pipe nipple to extend the drain an inch or two and a plug but I never worried about it.

GEO :)