Lesco or Big Box

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by stryper, Apr 16, 2004.

1. stryper

stryper LawnSite Member
    from IL

I'm thinking of taking charge of my own grass greening destiny and need some input. I've got the big box stores nearby, and originally I thought they'd probably be the cheapest/best place to get my four-step program (or whatever), but just recently I've discovered there's a Lesco in the area too. So, since I've noticed a lot of professionals seem to favor Lesco, would I be better off getting my fertilizers and such there, or is the stuff they sell in big box stores just as good?

And, if Lesco, do they have a year round program they can put me on to take the guesswork out of things? Basically, are they that good that they're specifically geared toward the climate zones and conditions where their stores are located?

Thanks

2. GripB

GripB LawnSite Member

Lesco, here in PA anyway, offers soil sample testing. See if your local Lesco offers the same. Get your results and then they should help you with your specific year-round requirements. Pricing may be a little cheaper also, compared to "box store brands".

3. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

Lesco is the way to go!! You can get the soil tested and they shoudl have a printed sheet for your area with the recommended products to use and when. The results are awesome. They also have an abundance of knowledge if you need help with anything special. I'm a homeowner, but I have an account set up with them..:)

4. CT John

CT John LawnSite Member

Are they able to sell all of their products to unlicensed homeowners? I was interested in buying just straight Dimension at one of our local Lesco stores.

5. dwost

I've never had an issue. I'm going to get some Drive 75 this summer for the leftover crab that I have in spots.

6. GripB

GripB LawnSite Member

As dwost mentioned...homeowners are able to set-up accounts at Lesco also.

7. CT John

CT John LawnSite Member

Those Lesco stores open Saturdays?

8. dwost

The one I go to is open 8-1 on Sat.

9. CT John

CT John LawnSite Member

Thanks alot for the quick reply.