1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lesco or Scag Walk Behinds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jess, Nov 19, 2004.

1. Jess

Jess LawnSite Member

I am not in the landscape business, just a crazy homeowner that likes your professional opinions. I look at this site fairly frequently.

I am in the market for a 36" belt driven walk behind. I was sure I wanted a Scag but, I was driving past a Lesco dealer the other day and saw one of their mowers. Not knowing much about commercial mowers I feel the quality of the Lesco is right up there with the Scag. I asked the salesman "how the Lesco compares with the Scag?" He told me, "they are both made by the same company." I also asked him if I had to repair the Lesco, where do I take it? He told me the Scag dealer will use the same parts on the Lesco as they do with the Scag.

What do you guys think Scag or Lesco? Is the salesman accurate?
    I am now leaning towards the Lesco.

The Scag's price is $3000.00. The Lesco is $2050.

2. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

#1 Scag does not make Lesco machines. They are made by Cub Cadet.
    #2 they are built nothing like a Scag, not even close.
    #3 as a homeowner you might consider the Lesco due to a cheaper price, and would still be suitable for you. as far as repair, most of the parts a mower shop should be able to get. If not, good luck with Lesco service. That's if they even offer it by you. Scag owns their own steel company, therefore their machines are built like tanks. :)
  3. DSIM

DSIM LawnSite Senior Member

I beg to differ, although they are not built by Scag the Lesco mowers are also built like tanks. They are pretty much the same. Lesco is about as heavy duty as they come.
    I have owned two belt drive w/b's over a period of 7 years and they never let me down.

I would go with the Lesco and save $$.
  4. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

I to was recently debating on a 36" scag or lesco. I was on my way to buy the lesco, only because it was $850 cheaper ( I liked the Scag much better but it was to much) Anyway, on the way there I saw an Exmark dealer so I stopped. I've seen many Exmarks all over town and heard they were very good machines. They had a 36" belt drive W/B for $1799. About $200 cheaper than the Lesco. And there made by the same company that makes Toro. Anyway to make a long story short. There prices were so good i ended up getting a 48" W/B for $2699. Not to shabby. I would research more until you find exactly what fit you best. Check for Toro, Exmark, Gravely, John Deere and any other brand you can think of. Ask to try them out. See which one feels best.
  5. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

He hit it right on. Scag is def. a better machine of the two, IMO. Built a lot stronger.
  6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I have to agree, they are pretty much the same. I would say almost 70 to 80% of the parts on them are the exact same
  7. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I use to own both brands. I have to admit that the Scag was built a bit heavier, which is great for our business. The Lesco was also built very well and actually gave a nicer cut and striped better than the Scag. I would not hesitate to buy a Lesco again. I just wouldn't buy a belt drive again, no matter the make.
  8. LawnSmith

LawnSmith LawnSite Senior Member

Simply The Best.
  9. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

Im a lesco fan if you buy the scag your buying the name why pay for words :)
  10. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

He was wrong or you misunderstood him. Scag Hydro is what you want.