Lesco Owners - Ever have this problem?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jason Pallas, Jun 16, 2001.

1. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

We've got a brand new 48" Lesco - prob is that when cutting a lot of grass will fly up out and over the front of the deck. This causes the cutter to get a face full of grass and debris all day long and also causes the 15 hp Kawasaki to go through air filters like made - because the air filter is located at the front of the engine/deck. Any suggestions???? Similar problems????

2. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

Vandora Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Try a lower lift blade. I run lesco's and those things get suction like vacuums. They will be ok on low lifts.

3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

sounds like low rear tire pressure to me.

4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

jason--right you are about the deck blowout and all of the problems it creates with dust.

I don't have any answer to it but I have considered taking a heavy strip of rubber like that cut from a big truck tube and make an apron for the front of the deck.

for the air filter thing, I service mine weekly which means washing and re-oiling the foam pre-filter and blowing out the paper cartridge. this service means that things last a long time.

as far as my complaints about the blow out, it's a minor item. the mower cuts great and does a beautiful job. as far as I'm concerned it is the best mower on the market for the money and as tough and dependable as they come.

GEO

5. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

I have a scag sthm and a 52 Lesco. I replaced the filter on the Scag
    with an Engineaire pre cleaner. It's been on there since May 1
    filter is still clean. Beats washing sponges. cost $150 Direct
    fron engineaire

6. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks for all the good advice. I'm gonna try lower lift blades. I know that we pulled the high lift blades off of it almost immediately because of this. Since then the guys have been using a Medium lift style blade. Maybe a change to low lift will do it. The mower seems to cut great and the guys love it otherwise. I've had to work on it a few times and only have a few very minor complaints about design, etc.... but you're right geogunn it is one hell of a mower and the price was definitely right. Works like a charm - 'cept for this grass blow-over problem.

7. Jason_S

Jason_S LawnSite Member

NO, but we have stock blades. We have a 2000 48" and a little older 52" both with 17hp Kawi's