Lesco? poll

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by humble1, Dec 11, 2007.

1. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

Do you buy from lesco?
    Do you still buy from lesco if there is a nother company for pest/herbicides?
    Why price or availability etc?

2. jrc lawncare

jrc lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Used to. Supplier for Lebanon Turf easily beat them on price, plus their closer. Their pricing is nuts.:dizzy:

3. CHARLES CUE

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

We buy some herbicides only out of convince if i need and am driving buy. Not any thing in WV every thing has to be shipped
    Buy most from ADVANCED turf solutions get a better price and always the same lesco is all over the board cant get a set price different from day to day and they can never find my account
    Charles Cue

4. VARMIT COMMISSION

VARMIT COMMISSION LawnSite Senior Member

Other than fertilizer, i havent found a single item that lesco isnt the most expensive on. I started out buying everything from lesco, then talking to my competitors they would just laugh at me and so your going to go broke if you keep buying from lesco. Lesco is the most expensive supplier of chemicals in our state. With so many other companies wanting your buisness why pay more for a product. Its all bottom dollar to me.

5. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

1. Rarely, I bought from them in the beginning before I found other suppliers.
    2. See #1
    3. Price, I stopped checking them altogether because it was always so much higher. I don't have the volume to get better pricing from them so I go to where I don't need the volume to get a reasonable price.

6. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

LESCO has nearly always been our best bet (price + quality). I took a hard look at our pre/fert for spring 2008. Talked to LESCO, UAP, and another for a period of 4 weeks or so. Sticker shock caused me to do this, cuz I usually decide much more quickly. I was ready to order 70 tons of pre/fert from LESCO, but their price jumped $2.50 per bag from the previous weeks' quote. I ordered from UAP instead.

7. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

I'd have to think twice about buying from Lesco now, since JD acquired them !!

8. Harley-D

Harley-D LawnSite Senior Member

American, i would be careful about jumping ship. I've heard through the vine that although the other companies will take an initial hit and give you the discounted price, they will raise their prices soon too. If they don't, good job. If they do, you just lost some buying power from lesco-john deere.

I've also heard from a guy that used to work at one of their production plants that they'll ship old stock that's been sitting around. Eventually they have to sell what they had to pay to produce. Who know's what will happen?

9. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

just dropped a grand at lesco in Silver springs...great customer service, they delivered small qty's and large qty's no problems. Price, service, product, keep me coming back.

10. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm sure prices are going up everywhere, not just Lesco. I talked to Pennington rep the other day. He said they are not allowing anyone to "book" fertilizer for the upcoming year due to price increases. You can buy what they have in stock now. Same thing at Lesco or at least that is what I've been told. I've seen a couple posts on here of guys saying they "locked" in at 07 prices. All I can say is if you actually did, you got lucky and youve done well. Raining here,gonna go to lesco and sit down with them and see if I can tweek my program to shave some costs without sacrificing the quality my customers have come to expect.