Lesco Prices

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by C.T. Lawn Care, Jan 7, 2006.

1. C.T. Lawn Care

C.T. Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Is it just me or are the prices for fert. and such going up at lesco? i got urea or 15.39 the last time i was there and now they are saying 18.31 on the internet with my account!

2. Birdjr

Birdjr LawnSite Senior Member
    from nnj

lesco charges a lot more for their products then other suppliers i have another supplier by me that has some of the same products but is a lot cheaper then lesco to me ur just paying for the lesco name

3. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd expect prices on fert to go up by around 15% this year, at least from my supplier. I'd go so far as to say all their products related to lawn applications will see a 15% increase across the board. Just have to raise your prices accordingly and shop around with other suppliers to try and get yourself the cheapest price IMO.

4. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

Lesco warned me that their prices would be going up 20% at the beginning of the year. That is why I did a big purchase at the end of 2005 to get the lower prices. You can blame the rise in Natural gas prices for the reason. As far as shopping around I would be careful in what you buy. As the old saying goes, fertilizer is not fertilizer. I am convinced that Lesco's fertilizer is the best you can buy. The amount of slow release is guaranteed as is the Micronutrients. I know what is in the bag. The type of slow release is also better as they do not rely solely on a sulfer coating. It also has a polymer coating that doesn't break while being handled. I have used Lesco fertilizer for the past several years & have been extremely satisfied with it. I could buy cheaper fertilizer but then I would be no better than TruGreen Brown Lawn.
    Just my 2 cents.

Mike Immel
    Mike's Total Lawn Care

5. GrazerZ

GrazerZ LawnSite Senior Member

Prices have gone up across the board. We toke advantage of the early order program and Symbiot pricing on top of that. The prices in the pass couple of years have gone up about 50% at my estimation. I raise my prices to keep up with it. I figure that every supplier from gas to toilet paper has gone up for one reason or another which raises my cost of doing buisness and living. If your prices don't increase you are making less and less every year. The cost of living is pretty high here in the Northeast and I can't take any more cuts into my bottom line.so up they go...

6. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

But urea is urea and Lesco's prices for urea are some of the highest. BTW - Lesco's Fert is far from the best on the market. Don't get me wrong - they make a decent fert. but there are better one's out there. CT Lawn Care - go to an elevator to buy your urea. You'll save yourself quite a bit over Lesco's prices.

7. LonniesLawns

LonniesLawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from KS

Saying Lesco is the highest quality fertilier is definitely not true and i9s either said because of being unaware ofwhat else is out there or not being able to judge what true quality fertilizer is. I think a more true statemnt is that Lesco is the prettiest fertilizer. Their ferilizer is so clean -- I often wonder if they wash it before it goes into the bag. But the use of coated nitrogen as their primary slow release is not the best and the use of mostly MOP is also not good.

8. PR Fect

PR Fect LawnSite Bronze Member

Lesco fert is very clean. And thats why we like it. It does not clog the broadcast spreaders like others. Some we have tried will throw off the calibrations bad. We have spread Lesco fert in the rain with no clogging. Hey Mike, check out the Wisconsin thread in the Networking forum. Where are you at in Wisconsin?

9. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

When I said lesco is the best fertilizer you can buy I should have said it is the best in my area. I could either buy it from Lesco, another competitor that is similar but does not have quite as high a quality as Lesco's or from the Co-op's in the area & I know what that quality is like. It is great for growing corn & soybeans but not so great on my lawn. I know, as I tried it & the grass grew so fast I couldn't keep up with the cutting. You are correct in saying that urea in urea. The only time I use urea is for a late fall application so it gets into the roots in a hurry and I do that based on the latest university research.
    I am kind of of sensitive to some of the bashing that Lesco seems to take on this site. Dave & Eric are the two guys that I deal with in the Kaukana store & they are great to deal with. They always get me the best price they can, they don't try to oversell to me, they provide free delivery and if they don't know the answer to something I ask they find it out for me.
    I am sure their are smarter applicators than me out there & I don't want to get in an argument over who has the best fertilizer. It is just in my experience that Lesco provides a very good & reliable product & has helped me grow my business.

Mike Immel
    Mike's Total Lawn Care

10. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Lesco raised their prices big time, because their costs went up big time. The price of raw materials is up 15-45%, natural gas is up 20-30%, diesel fuel is through the roof. Many of the port facilities that receive the raw materials were damaged in Katrina, some of the factories that make it were also damaged. Plus, the price of trucking is way up too. Diesel costs have caused trucking companies to raise their prices, but a bigger reason is again Katrina. FEMA is paying truckers a premium price, which is rolling on down to the rest of the country. I spent 25% more on Christmas dinner this year, even though I didn't splurge any more than usual. Coffee is up, soda is up. (I keep records from past year's dinner costs) I even payed 15 cents more for a bag of ice over last years prices. You can't just base a company on their prices. The Lesco guys I know are great. You are paying for them and their knowledge. Will a knowledgeable person from your local elevator go out to a lawn with you and help you diagnose a problem? Will they help you develop a fert program for the coming year? I doubt it. Can you buy a string trimmer, backpack blower, mower blades, grease gun, herbicide, insecticide, plus fertilizer and a spreader, all at once, from your elevator? I seriously doubt it. There is a business term called " Value added". Basically it gets you more bang for your buck. Lesco gets me the best value overall on the market. I could buy another brand a heck of alot cheaper, but that's all I'd be getting.