1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lesco Renovator speed

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by mac43rn, Sep 29, 2006.

1. mac43rn

mac43rn LawnSite Member

What type of speed do you get out of a unit. I have been asked to power seed, and it seems to be in high demand. I really try to persuade my clients to double aerate and broadcast seed, but often times they insist on slit (or power) seeding. My question is, how fast could you seed and average (5000 square foot) lawn? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. mac43rn

mac43rn LawnSite Member

3. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

Time, that depends on how many obstacles are in the area. You should be able to do 5k in 30-60 minutes. I think the renovators go around 2 mph. I always try to up-sell slice seeding over aerating because the seed germination rate is so much higher with slice seeding. You should get at least 85% if not more, germination with slice seeding.
  4. somo1

somo1 LawnSite Member

I'd have to agree slit-seeding is much more effective. Plus I'd rather run my Renovator all day than an aerator half-day. I tell customers that Aeration/overseeding is about 50-60% effective on the germination rate.