Lesco Renovator

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by HBFOXJr, Aug 24, 2004.

1. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm looking for feedback on the Lesco Renovators vs other seeders you have used such as BlueBird, Ryan Mataway, etc.

Easy of handling, reliability, seeding results, durability, fatigue when using all day etc.

Thanks

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Lesco 20 renovator, nothing but good things to say about it. Biggest draw back might be fatigue if I used it all day but it covers alot of ground per hr so never had that experience. Never had any problems and the results I get are fantastic. I've owned and used it for 5 yrs now.

Mac

3. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Ryan, top shelf slice seeder, if you plan of doing alot of slice seeding and want the best results thats the machine, however it costs over 5k ( i think)

lesco renovator, I own one, it works very good, I am very pleased with the results,and after 6 years of heavy use I had to replace a lot of items on it. But for the money I think its a good investment.

When Im ready to replace it what would i buy.......ryan no doubt

4. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

the lesco kicks the blue birds butts. It is easier to use as it is self propelled, and the results increase as well. You will not be sorry if you get one. The ryan looks topheavy if I am thinking of the same thing although it looks like it would do a kickin job. The lesco goes across hills great.

5. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

The lesco renovator is one of a kind. I worked at Lesco for over 5 years and this is the one piece of equipment Lesco made that I truely believed in. There is nothing else in it's price range that can compare. I only use mine on 15-20 jobs a year, but other than having to replace (or flip) the blades, change the oil and lubing the chain, it's never been worked on

6. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

My opinion isn't worth dung on this thread but I'm not bashful so I'll toss it out anyway...............

It has reverse. When properly maintained, the Renovator doesnt run down hills. The seed hopper doesn't clog unless the user sweeps the road debris & tosses it back into the hopper hence rocks might be a problem. The big belt actually lasts an entire season now & most people can change it with simple hand tools in under 10 minutes.

But....

Unless you own the right air ratchet...changing those blades is a bother.

7. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks Guys.

I own a Ryan and have for years. They work but are a dog to handle and actually the drive tires can slip a lot leading to increased seed usage (hopper is poweer driven) and lower production.

BlueBird and the like are lighter and easier to handle but must be handled and since they are lighter so they can be handled leave something to be desired.

Also had a Jacobsen years ago just like the Ryan. Blades are too far apart on these machines and i think maintenance costs and time are high for the useage they get.

To me, the Lesco Renovator looks to be the best crossover machine but I wasn't sure. I don't think there are any others like it.

8. kickin sum grass

kickin sum grass LawnSite Senior Member

I saw an orange one once. I think it said MTD on it. It was the exact same thing as the lesco now and as MTD makes lesco stuff.

9. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I've used the Olathe, Ryan, and Lesco slitseeders and have to say the Lesco is the best for manueverablilty and ease of operation. I've had my Lesco Reno for about 14 years now and the Honda engine still runs like it did the first day I bought it.

10. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Thats the one I own, Few years back I was mad at lesco ( sorry tremor :p ) I went to a ryan dealer to buy the mataway, and they had these MTD machines. They are the same as the renovator just with red paint.

Its funny everytime I go to a lesco store with it they always ask me why I painted my machine.

I think they only did this for 1-2 years

My comments about the parts that needed replaceing, it was after 6 years of hard use, so yes they stand up well. And Yes it is a major pain in the a$# to change those blades.