1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lesco Reps

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by precisioncut, Mar 8, 2004.

1. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

Well maybe it's because I'm new to the fertilizing aspect of things but the guy I have met won me over. I hope it stays that way. I will continue to do business with anyone as long as they can keep me satisfied.
  2. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

After I went and said this, I ended up going into Lesco today with some questions. The Rep was very knowledgeable and answered all my questions, put me onto a few tips and ideas I hadn't thought of. I guess I have to take it back.

3. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe I bad mouth lesco when I didn't mean too. I am college trained and have been in the bus for many years. Therefore I look at suppliers different than others

1. If you are new in the business, 5 years of less. Then Lesco is the place for you to buy your chemicals. They know what is best for your area. They hear things from other LCO's and can pass it on to you. Yes you will pay a little more for this service, however it should be worth it.

2. Once you get to a certain size and experience other suppliers are better priced and can save you money but lack the service aspect.

3. Now if you get really big as in a national company. Then Lesco is the place to buy once again.

Now my problem with Lesco is that I am not number 3 but a little more than number 2 and want number 3 type pricing.
  4. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I don't think they are the best around, but the rep there today really helped me. More often than not, I suppose, they are very knowledgeable and willing to help. I don't buy a lot of stuff there as it is. Just thought I'd add to my original remark seeing as how I had some good advice/help today.

5. Enviro Green

Enviro Green LawnSite Senior Member

Shew, you mean people actually work in those buildlings?

I won't share. It isn't nice.
  6. green with envy

green with envy LawnSite Member

I agree with Ground control. Kevin and Tim at the Flint are great!
    I still have not decided if I will be buying from them this year but the prices they gave me put them in the running. I am still waiting for numbers from John Deere Landscapes then it's time to make a decision.
  7. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

The reps are cool. The lack of fertilizer product availability and choice stinks.

I find the prill size of lesco fert too big?
    what do you guys think? I have changed to a different supplier with smaller prill size.
  8. thfireman

thfireman LawnSite Senior Member

I had a great rep untill recently. They moved him to a new store to work. We worked togather good and we actually chased a guy down that was beating on a woman. So we had a strong bond and now he is history. Well Maybe I can get to know the new folks and I am sure they will be just as helpful.
  9. heybruck34

heybruck34 LawnSite Senior Member

Fireman- I frequent the Pineville Lesco- maybe I'll run into you there sometime.

I assume you're talking about staff that was transferred to the new Matthews store.
  10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I always like to Tell like it is.

OK MY LESCO GUYS CAME THOUGH. $0.05 cheaper than my current supplier on the one granular fertilizer product that I will use the most of. 12-2-14 70% slow release. I am a happy camper. The truth is I took this blend to other manufactures in the past and had it Custom blended. I would change the blend slightly year to year depending on which manufacture made it. It ended up as a 13-3-13. Now I will have to check the label to be sure I am buying the same value. However as long as it is in the ball park we can play ball.

Lesco did not match other prices of Spray Products which I use more of than Granules. However it is a start. It is in fact the spray products I would like to buy from Lesco also. This would limit my running out of material between delivery dates and cut my inventory expense. After all This is a business and cost factors are very important.