1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lesco ride-on leaving streaks

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by smokestackit07, Aug 31, 2008.

1. smokestackit07

smokestackit07 LawnSite Member

hey everyone, new to the website, love it, I have a lesco ride on spreader that is leaving streaks in lawns. the spreader leaves streaks with the deflecter and third whole closed and open as well as spreading wide open. I have been spreading in both transport and app. speed. and still get streaks. The spreader only streaks beneath the unit(it seems like the fert is falling off the spreader wheel.) Anyone had this problem. Is the spreader not going fast enough ??????. Please Help.
  2. pinto n mwr

pinto n mwr LawnSite Senior Member
    from gr8, mn

had the same problem this spring. Reasons for streaking when using HPS

1. Speed-even though there is transport and application speed, the speed is relative to what terrain you're dealing with and what type of product. I try to go as fast as possible and adjust the opening accordingly

2.Third hole- if you have the thing open then you are flawed from the start. The HPS is flawed just like the Lesco push spreader. With the third hole opened it has a problem with hitting the undercarraige, frame and deflecting to the middle of the spreader, thus leaving a streak.

3. Since this problem with hitting the frame always occurs no matter if you have the third hole closed or not, properties that have been neglested on the N will tend to streak when using and HPS than others.

Have experienced this with numerous properties that the first of my apps using causes stripes but every apps since no such thing. Weird but true!
  3. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

check that the agitator as not fallen off causing the botom to rub on the impellar causing the fert not to spread evenly. in the inside of the hopper is a tension clip that hold the agitator on and also hold the mechanism off the impellar. there was a problem with them. i use to put a small ammount of expoxy on it to keep it from flying off
  4. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

same problem with my hps, believe its a design flaw,

i only use mine to spread lime/seed/gyp/007/fungicide etc...
    but not ferts- due to this poor accuracy
  5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Streaking = Operator error. Not sure how one would think that the Lesco spreaders are "flawed" since they are probably the most used spreader in the industry, and MOST people use them with no problems with streaking at all. Proper overlap, keeping the spreader holes and spinner plate clean, and proper calibration, you won't get streaks.

Don't leave the 3rd hole closed except for "edging", leaving it closed while spreading all the time and it won't be throwing enough to one side.

Biggest tip with any of the ride-on spreaders, don't spread "back and forth" like you would with a push spreader, travel around and around, racetrack style basically. This will eliminate the streaking potential, if the spreader is throwing heavier on one side it won't matter. Also they are just easier to operate when you only have to make 90 deg. turns instead of cranking them 180 degrees and getting lined back up and spaced out just right.
  6. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

There are two viable options:

1) Get an eggcase type of collection system. Make multiple passes with fertilizer. Collect & weigh the results. Adjust the third hole until everything is perfect....OR.....much easier....

2) Do what Jason says. Most rotary spreaders (and especially the Lesco which is exaggerated in the HPS) are imbalanced. Lesco rotaries tend to spread the correct amount of granules too far on the right side. The same amount of material tends to land closer on the left side which then becomes the "heavy" side. Great for trimming if the user knows what they're doing. If you never go straight back & forth (left edges meeting left/right edge meeting right) then the light & heavy edges will always meet & correct each other.
  7. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I have had some issues in the past and it was due to the 3rd hole.

Best advice I can give you is CALIBRATE it using the collection pan method!

It takes time to do...but is well worth the exercise.

I have always gone "back and fourth" with my PG and have not had any trouble. If the spreader is set correctly, then there shouldn't be any problems!
  8. J.J.

J.J. LawnSite Member

Change out your impeller. After a while the impeller gets worn and causes you to leave a streak where you drop the fert. I had the same problem and changed out the impeller and all was well again.
  9. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

going around in circles not only helps in streaking department, but also speeds your application up. driving in a circle at a consistant speed, rather then slowing to make a return path. you can take alot of time off a application by doing this.
  10. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

AS im spreading on the hps , you can actually here the product
    hitting the underside of the machine- and as a result falling
    right underneath towards the right side of your tracks.

i have tried several tweaks to get it right, but im extremely anal
    on my spread pattern, especially with ferts, and could not get it
    to a place i was fully comfortable with. spreading around in a circle
    seemed like a bandaid to me, and not always practical.

i had consider, though never attempted, using a platter from
    a spyker spreader- with the 2 curved arms
    to see if that helped

ive never had a spreader that was perfect right out of the box,
    they all need a little tweaking and adjustment (if provided) to
    get them to where your happy spreading. even on my PG ultra,
    i had to actually enlarge one of the holes in the bottom of
    the spreader, to acheive an even dispersion of granules.

just my 2cents