Lesco Rotary/Drop spreader

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by turfman33, Dec 9, 2003.

1. turfman33

turfman33 LawnSite Member

I just got a Lesco Rotary/Drop spreader. The guy in the store said you can't put Fertilizer through because it come out in stripes and not an even distribution. He said to put seed or insecticide (which I can't use) through it but not fertilizer. Anybody have one of these to clarify this.

Thanks

Steve

2. turfman33

turfman33 LawnSite Member

The drop part of the spreader that is. Not the Rotary.

3. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

You can use the drop part for fertilizer, but you may have to figure out your calibration. That drop adapter was added for companies like Chemlawn to make apps in between curbs and sidewalks to keep product on target. You would definitely not want to attempt the droip on wide open expanses as the margin for error multiplies times 100 compared to rotary.

4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I did a search on here about the drop spreader for the Lesco unit you are talking about, before I bought it. After I did the search, it was obvious that I would not need it or use it. You might do a search and see what other have to say about it.

5. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

You might get more use out of the side shield with the control levers on the lesco spreader. Mine has two levers on the right side. One lowers a shield on the right side and the other cuts the rate by a third by closing one of the three holes. I use this along walks, curbs, buildings, and whenever I don't want to through fert on both sides. You can get the same thing without the levers, but you have to stop to make the changes then. With the remote levers you can change from full spread to just front and left without stopping.

6. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

The drop portion of that unit is useless as far as the guys that I had sold it to were concerned. They tried to use it to cut in and it only produced a really green border as compared to the broadcasted part of the lawn. As stated above it was designed for parking lot islands to avoid cleanup and need to carry a drop and rotary spreader.
    I personally think it would be a great calcium chloride spreader for walks in the winter months !!!!!

7. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Ummm....We actually made that spreader for New York applicators. It is considered a voilation of state & federal laws to misapply pesticides. New York DEC interprets that to mean that Pre-M & Merit on fertilizer should never even land on a sidewalk let alone be blown off one. And if we stop to think about it, by the letter of the law, Albany is correct. It IS illegal to apply Merit to a sidewalk. If you want to get technical about it.

Thus the combination drop/rotary spreader was born.

So the guy in the store was only partly correct. You might very well stripe with it if you don't know how to use it. But it was designed for fertilizer/combination products.

Call 1-800-321-5325 & then dial 6150

Dave or J.B. will get you the settings you need.

Steve