Lesco Rye Grass Problems

Discussion in 'LESCO' started by ed2hess, Dec 13, 2004.

1. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

This year we are experiencing a lot of disease in the rye grass. In some properties we see big areas where the problem is so bad there is no grass and we are replanting. I don't know the correct word for disease but the blades turn yellow and die. We spray with compass and dacacil(sp?). I keep hearing who good the sead control on fungus is supposed to be but....anybody else having problems in lower states that overseed?

2. Bob West LESCO

Bob West LESCO Sponsor

Ed...

I haven't heard about this issue, but I've put out an email to our key Southern state associates as well as our turf seed merchant -- I'll let you know what they say.

Thanks,
    Bob West
    LESCO

3. Bob West LESCO

Bob West LESCO Sponsor

Ed...

I just spoke to our number one guy in the Southeast, and he told me that the problem you're reporting usually shows up with warmer than normal and wet conditions. Can you tell me where you're located? Or, feel free to contact me directly at 216/706-5136 -- we'd be happy to set up a visit and have one of our representatives come out and look at the properties in question.

Thanks,
    Bob

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We live in Austin Texas and our address information can be gotten from the local Lesco guys. We work with Kevin and he has been very very helpful over the years. The weather conditions was warm when we planted ...we went 10 days full water from irrigation...then it rained for about a week. By the time we did first cut the grass (bermuda and rye was pretty big). Two weeks later I started seen the damage from fungus. Even our TG guys have problems on some high profile accounts...ARbo Estates..

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I think this problem with rye dying out in our area is BIG....there are BIG voids in most properties in Austin. We have one site that we baby along with multiple sprays but the rest of our sites are BAD. I don't think you guys have your act together on keeping the disease under control with different seeds. How do I get in touch with the Oregan(sp) growers....we have a very bad situation. And we tried to reseed and you can't get this seed to germinate in the winter!!!! And the Lesco Paint don't seem to cover very well either!!! In fact there are some comments in a thread about that in the lawn maintenance section.