lesco,scotts, vergo

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by clntn_mccoy, Jun 2, 2008.

1. clntn_mccoy

clntn_mccoy LawnSite Member

which is the better line of fertilizer to use on s. augustine lawn?
  2. cej93

cej93 LawnSite Member

I have had pretty good success with Scott's Bonus S on my personal lawn. I am no pro by any means. I have some issues with something eating my grass as we speak and am going to have to figure out what to do about that. I am not too impressed.:confused:
  3. Hissing Cobra

Hissing Cobra LawnSite Senior Member

Well, they're all good! Nitrogen is nitrogen. The things you've got to pay attention to are this: How many pounds are in the bag (this will affect how much sq. footage you'll get out of one) and what is the amount of slow release. The more slow release, the higher the price.
  4. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Got pics? I'm sure someone here can id....
  5. clntn_mccoy

clntn_mccoy LawnSite Member

I have put talstar from lesco on all my bug infested yards for the last two years with great results.
  6. cej93

cej93 LawnSite Member

Thanks, I posted some pics in another post and had a few people tell me that problem is actually drought stress and not an insect so I am trying something else for now and hopefully I'll see results in a couple of days or so.
  7. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

St. Augustine is a Nitrogen hog. She like her N every 6 weeks or so with lots of micro nutrients. Apply at a rate of 1lb/1M. Pick a formula like 18-0-18. St. Augustine is lucky in-that it will tolerate the potash derived from chlorine. Liquid urea is best if you have a means to spray it. You also need a good base of potassium; probably don't need any phosphate (Middle Number) . Keep water on it at a rate of about 1.5-2.0"/ week should be sufficient. Water deeply. Roy
  8. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

The turf don't prefer a "line" of products? They don't care what name in on the bag....as it is the analysis and product quality that means the most when applying fert.

Personally I am a BIG fan of Lesco fert. Great quality and a VERY CONSISTENT product.