1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lesco Seed Discussion

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Strawbridge Lawn, Sep 4, 2003.

1. Strawbridge Lawn

Strawbridge Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have noted in recent years that the Transition Blend seems to do very well initially 6-8 months after planting, but has a very difficult time making it through our summers here. Has anyone else noted this? I had a job where the seed and compost was blown in last fall after aeration. Looked AWESOME, but succumbed to intital signs of fungus (treated with Baylaton), but continued to brown out and die to a mess (current). I asked him about his watering frequency and that was twice weekly with 1 hr per zone. For `10-11 months turf I would have increased the frequency of watering to 4 out of 7 days rather than 2 and probably added an early afternoon watering on the 90 F days.
    No insects, moles, or grubs. We had above normal rainfall every month this year. Was it all fungus??
    Any advice?? Should I try a more disease res seed?
    There were other properties I seeded with TB that succumbed to fungus also. Very similiar, but not as drastic.
  2. Rob T

Rob T LawnSite Member

Have you tryed Lescos Team Mates Plus? That's all we use. Seems to do pretty well and holds up fairly good in the heat.

As far as Transition goes, that is mostly tall fescue right? I planted a back yard w/it many years ago. Was very sandy soil and gets no fert. That lawn is doing very well.

Maybe it was just that particular lawn that you planted that was prone to disease?
  3. GLAN

GLAN Banned

With the excessive rain that was the start of the problem.

Higher humidity during the summer this year was another contributing factor.

Bayleton has to be used as a preventative. Does not work well to cure.
  4. Strawbridge Lawn

Strawbridge Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Teamates and TB have virtually the same seed blends. The only difference is Teamates has a pereniul rye grass. Depending on the lot a different seed may be noted in TB/TM, but laramie, Bravo, Stetsom and Lancer are the most common turf type tall fescues.