Lesco Seed & Poa Annua

Discussion in 'LESCO' started by lawnstriper23, May 6, 2006.

1. lawnstriper23

lawnstriper23 LawnSite Senior Member

I overseeded in the Fall using a premium seed that was purchased from Lesco. I have noticed within the last few weeks that my lawn is being overtaken by Poa Annua (Annual Bluegrass). I think the seed that I used caused this because these weeds have not spread to my neighbors yards and you can see a very distinct line where my grass and theirs meet. I went to my local Lesco branch and they claimed that there is no way the seed could contain this weed and told me there is basically no program or product to get rid of these weeds. That answer did not sell well with me so I am debating to take my business somewhere else. I have been a pretty loyal customer for the past few years and have even got all my neighbors on the Lesco programs. I just didn't like how my issue was treated when I went to the local branch....Enough of the ranting, I need to call around to get some answers.................Sorry to be so negative, but this is my lawn and a mans lawn should not be messed with..................

2. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

Their right, there is no effective control of POA you can suppress it thats about it. I'd also be surprised if it came in the seed. The seeds are tested thoroughly and that would have showed up. If you still have your bag you can request a seed test. You need the seed lot number from the tag. You might also find it on your receipt. I've purchased a tremendous amount of seed from Lesco over 20,000 lbs over the years with fantastic results.

3. rider

rider LawnSite Member
    from ohio

pre-emergent in the fall and the spring will help control, as well as a healthy thick yard. the reason you are seeing it in your yard is because it was seeded in the fall. poa is carried by the wind, birds, the soles of your shoes and it is aggressive and opportunistic , go ask a golf superintendent. we are also seeing alot because ohio had a mild winter.

wait for drought conditions then mow short, won't kill but will shrink size of clumps, fert heavy in fall with a pre-emergent late and a pre early in the spring.

ask for a retest, you won't find anything. most seed comes from the pacific northwest,

it helps if you know a little about the subject before going off half-cocked and blaming someone who is not at fault.

4. rider

rider LawnSite Member
    from ohio

5. TOMMY1115

TOMMY1115 LawnSite Member

An application of Dimension this fall, as well as your normal spring applications, will help you out with your issue. I've recommended it a few time with great results.

6. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

My guess would be that it came in via a lawn mower. Mow it tall (3"), and do all of the things that you are supposed to do to keep a lawn healthy and happy (water properly, aerate, good fertilizer), mow it tall (3") and do the pre-emergants in the spring and fall. Try and out compete it. There are chemicals you can spray to kill it, buth they are very very expensive. I seriously doubt if it came in with the seed. They test constantly, and the feds spot test.

7. TforTexas

TforTexas LawnSite Senior Member

I have run into complaints like this several times over the years where customers insist that the weed define the area that they prepped and reseeded so the weeds must have come from the seed. However the truth usually turns out to be that the culprit is the prep work. If you were to aerate and verticut, not use any pre-emergant, fertilize, then water 2-3 times a day for the next several weeks like you were trying to germinate seed, quess what? You'll wind up with a bunch of weeds and if you did this work right up to the property line, those weeds would be in a straight line along that property line.
    It seems the folks that seeded in the spring complain about spurge and those that seed in the fall complain about Poa.(Winter or Summer annuals)
    I put this in the same catagory as the customer that tells me his weeds are the fault of the guy down the street(Blowing in). I try to tell those customers that they don't need the guy down the street's seeds he has plenty already in his lawn, just take a shovel and turn over a small piece of soil it would cover with weeds in days. There are literally millons of weed seed present in the soil of an average lawn all it takes is a little exposure to light and *pop*!
    Any time we get a dead spot or our turf gets thin or bare there are plenty of seeds already in place waiting to take advantage.
    And unfourtunatly when we prepare a perfect seed bed for our grass seed it is also a perfect seed bed for those weed seeds sitting in wait for you.

8. LawnDawg65

LawnDawg65 LawnSite Member

Lesco has a product that is excellent, but very expensive called revolver. Mix in a surfactant and you will see quick results in the warm weather, slower in the cold. Keep in mind I am in Texas and this works on bermuda grass. The reason you have so many weeds is because when you seed in the fall, you can't apply a pre-emergent then ( I like simazine), by the time spring rolls around and you can spray a pre-emergent, the winter "grassy" weeds have already germinated. I spray in early January and have descent results, hope this helps.

9. rider

rider LawnSite Member
    from ohio

you can put dimension on new grass(blue/rye) that has been mowed at least three times. most companies due not because poa and winter annuals have not been a real problem until lately. if you seed in september and not october the lawn is thicker and the weeds cannot compete for space. also depends on the amount of rainfall recieved. dry summer dry fall = lots of winter annuals, poa in new grass.

of course it has to be the seeds fault, government certified or not
    (this always seems to be the mindset of the uneducatable)

10. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Prograss (ethofumesate) does an excellent job of wiping out Poa. Follow up with a good pre-emergent the following years, along with good cultural practices, and Poa will be non-existant in a residential lawn.