Lesco Settings

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by CT18fireman, Sep 18, 2001.

1. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

Recently was given a new fertilizer to try by a local center. I have a lesco rotary spreader but the label does not have a seeting on it for that. It does have settings for others including multiple scott models. Does anyone one know of a comparatable spreader to the lesco that I can use to set for this application?

2. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Me thinks that Lesco and Scotts rotory are gauged the same. Check it out or ask Lesco.

I find that fine grade ferts are about a #14 on a lesco gauge (not spreader setting) to coarser grades about #16. Generally yeilds about 4-5 lbs/K.

I have a special collector that fits a Lesco that I catch and weigh product with. I calibrate EVERYTHING and save the info. Using the Lesco gauge I can reproduce the exact setting everytime. The spreader letters only get you close.

3. TruGreenDedLawn

TruGreenDedLawn Banned

I think Harold is correct. If you are not using a Lecso sreader, I would suggest you go get one. $300 and most of your calibration problems will be solved. Plus They operate they way a spreader should.

4. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

I have a lesco Spreader the problem is that the fert I am using is a sample and the dealer did not have a lesco setting for it. The fert manufacturer suggests 1lb per 300 sq ft. What do you guys think?

5. Harold, where can I pick up one of these guages for an earthway spreader? Also how do you if you are only catching and weighting... how do you know your effective covering area? Doesn't lesco throw hard to the left?

6. HBFOXJr

What is the fertilizers analysis? Do you want to apply something different than 1 lb/300 sq ft? I told you approximate numbers for 4-5 lb/k or 1.2 to 1.5 lb/300 sq ft. What else is there?

7. HBFOXJr

The gauge is from Lesco but can be universally used to measure small spreader openings. I also use it on my Perma Green.

I can get the name of the catcher/collector tomorow if anyone is interested.

No the Lesco doesn't throw hard left. Just did seed on concrete today to check effective width. We're making single pass, 6' on center for our 4lbs/k of tall fescue, rye, blue mix.

8. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Most rotary spreaders will spread very slightly heavy on the left if all 3 holes are wide open. This is a function of the rotating impellar. LESCO spreaders have an adjustable 3rd hole. The better manufacturers such as Scotts, have followed suit in an effort to compensate for this quirk. Dirty impeller, humidity, granule bulk density, particle size, & consistency all play a role in actual third hole setting as well as the actual guage setting. Vicon Pendulum spreaders are imune from the impeller "syndrome" & are the most accurate broadcast spreaders in the world.
    Harold is correct because 1#/100 sq is the same as 3.33#/1000. If the manufacturer of the fertilizer hasn't figured this out, they must really know the commercial applicator market.
    The table that follows is based on some popular LESCO fertilizers of the standard sized lawn care blends. It is an approximate only. This chart is not a substitute for proper calibration practices. Combination products often include binders which may alter these settings by as much as .5-1 point. Low quality Ag grade ferts will differ. So will standard grades which don't have the "fines" screened out. Medium & Fine grades (fairway & green) sizes will also differ significantly.

ANAYSIS....RATE/M........LESCO GUAGE......EARTHWAY
    34-3-11.....2.94.............13.................14
    32-5-7......3.12.............14.................14
    30-5-10.....3.33.............14..............14.25
    28-5-12.....3.57.............14..............14.25
    26-3-11.....3.85.............15...............14.5
    24-5-11.....4.16.............15...............14.5
    21-3-21.....4.76.............16...............14.5
    20-10-10....5.00.............16...............14.5
    18-2-18.....5.56.............17...............14.5
    17-17-17....5.88.............18..............14.75
    16-4-8......6.25.............19..............14.75
    15-5-15.....6.66.............19..............14.75

The settings are based on a 3 MPH walking speed. Speed, as well as the above mentioned factors will alter the actual results, but this offers a good starting point.

Sorry I couldn't include all the spreaders on the chart, but this is a funny format to type in.

Study this chart & you'll note the apparent inaccuracies. There just aren't enough steps in most spreaders to avoid this phenomenom.

The LESCO Calibration Guage is a stepped plastic device that confirms the size of the spreaders aperature much the way you would guage a spark plug. It will help to accurately calibrate any spreader with similarly sized & fasioned holes. To get one call 1-800-321-5325 & order item # 009952 or stop into one of the LESCO Serevice Centers. Cost, about $3.00. Free with a spreader.

I hope this helps.

God Bless America

9. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Our friends at LESCO have a nice spreader. But they are not so nice at supplying other manufacturers of fert with proper calibration settings. If the(non lesco fert) bag has a lesco setting on it , it will be the letter designation not the number calibration gage. When I have used these letter calbs. they have been wrong to the heavy side. When I buy my dry prod (lower cost) I call lesco and ask for setting of there nearest similar product. This works great. Then I write it down for future ref. Problem is I write it on cardboard or the wall and can't find it next year.

10. Sammy

Sammy LawnSite Bronze Member