1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Lesco soil samples

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BigEd, Mar 7, 2001.

1. BigEd

BigEd LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

Went to the local Lesco today(first time)asking about soil samples.They were very friendly and helpful.We then talked for a long time. Then they set me up with a soil probe and free soil sample bags.Then all I have to do is bring them the sample and 12.00 bucks,they send it out and when it comes back(10 days) they discuss the results with you and set you up a fertilizer plan either a 3,4,or5 step plan depending what I can sell to the customer.Anybody else do it this way?I think it sounds great.How much do you guys charge the customer for the soil test?

2. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Well not exactly free...the bags are purchased and mailed to the lab. Pay first and mail them yourself or pay later and have lesco mail, same difference.

As for the rest sound like a usual Lesco experence, very good! I mail my soil samples in a USPS Priority mail box for $3.20 all together, saves money on postage v/s mailing each bag.

Ray

3. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

Not to deter you from establsihing a repoire(sp) with your local Lesco Srvc. Center, but depending on your budget and the willingness of your clients, you may want to check with your local Co-operative Extension Ofc. They will perform the same soil analysis usually for around $2-3 per account.

Good luck this season!
    Kris

4. sgreanbean

sgreanbean LawnSite Member
    from cal

no kidding!
    i was approached buy several companys last year trying to get me to buy their products (poer equip companys) lesco was one of them. the guys seemed real nice and honest. thay sent me a catalog and some flyers but i did not persue them, maybe i should!soil samples would be a good idea for me. has every one had a good experience with them?

5. thefarmer4

thefarmer4 LawnSite Member

kutnkru,

My extension office sends them to Cornell and they charge me $10 or 12 bucks.

Does your local extension do the analysis right there?

6. Green Finger

Green Finger LawnSite Senior Member

I went to Lesco also and inquired about the soil testing. I was very interested in their program but after reading this post; I think it might be a little bias.

They get the soil tested, they read the results and they reccomend their products for the lawn.

Thinking about it the Co-op idea is not bad.

7. kutnkru

tis true, tis true.

I just spoke with our local Extension Ofc and this is what they had to say about soil samples:
    1.DO NOT TOUCH THE CORES WITH YOUR HANDS!!!
    she could not stress this fact enough.

2. Make sure that all cores are 6-8 inches in depth.

3. Place them in an extremely clean container.
    she recommended Zip-Lock freezer bags.

4. Take enough samples from various points of the lawn areas so that you will have enough to fill a 2cup measuring cup.

5. Mix the samples around in the bag so that they are not sorted by front/back lawn areas etc.

6. Place them on a windowsill to dry on a paper towel.
    she stressed not to use newspapers.

7. After they reach Cornell it could take up to 2 wks for results.

FYI
    Kris

8. kutnkru

Are available thru their offices as well. forgot to mention that.

Good luck this season!
    Kris

9. thefarmer4

thefarmer4 LawnSite Member

Should we wear rubber gloves and use a little piece of dowl rod to get the soil core out?

also I've always pushed the grass and thatch out of the way before taking samples, should this be done?

10. kutnkru

I personally just used cores from when we had aerated for the customers.

I would advise that if this is something you wish to pursue seriously, that you invest the $30-40 for one of those stand on aerators that takes two cores at a time. They look like .u. tubes underneath the footpeg. thses should also give you the optimum depth they have requested.

As far as gathering the core samples for packaging, we just scoop them up with a hand trowel and place them into bags this way.

No. I would not remove the grass or thatch. Give them the entire sample. This will allow them to determine the turfgrass type and aid in the evaluation of the overall lawn that much more efficiently.

Hope this helps.
    Kris