1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lesco Space Saver (Help)!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by J Hisch, Mar 6, 2007.

1. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

I am getting milky oil. I know the diaphrams are bad, but how do I get to them. Do I need to remove the pump? to do this? It seems that is the only way, but why would it be so difficult to service it? Thanks
  2. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

I removed the pump, I'm not sure if you have to, it just lookes easier. Get yourself a 3/8" ratchet and a allen headed socket to match the bolts (maybe 9MM??). A regular allen wrench won't touch the bolts if they haven't been serviced. Use PB Blaster, or WD to help break them loose. A breaker bar is not out of the question as well. You can't heat them, due to the other parts around the heads. I anti-seized mine when I put it back together, we'll see next time if it helped.
  3. lawnservice

lawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

seems manufacturers are generally more concerned with making their product more easy to build/mass produce than they are about how the end user will service the product

i'm not familiar with lesco's space saver (it probably has a D-30 pump?) but we have used other skid type sprayers that we had to pull the entire pump. So a 20 minute task turns into an all day affair
  4. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

I have started building my own tanks, but this one is still around. I buy the pump and motor put together already and configure it to tank, this makes it easy to service and get out of the truck when needed.
  5. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

It's a D- something, but not a 30. It's a triple diaphram vs. 2 with the D-30. Anyway, I had my pump off, rebuilt, and back on in 3 hours, and that included a trip to get the socket and I had never done the rebuild before. I'd look at 1 1/2-2 hours next time, tops.
  6. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I think that one is the D403. I always had a extra 5.5 with a pump in the shop and just swapped them in about 15 min. then rebuilt the pump on some rainy day that I didn't have anything better to do. the best place I found to buy hypro pumps was Rittenhouse. seems like I got a D30 for under $400 and then got one of the Honda clones for about $150. pretty cheap insurance.
  7. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

what is the best way to avoid blowing diaphrams?
  8. Rhett@Gregson-Clark

Rhett@Gregson-Clark Sponsor

With diaphragm pumps is is important to avoid any restriction on the suction side of the pump. If the pump has to pull too hard to get the fluid being pumped the diaphragms will fail early. Common causes of this are clogged strainer, screen too fine in the strainer, or valves on the suction line being left off when the pump is started.
  9. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I couldn't agree with you more about the suction line killing diagphrams, I learned that the hard way.

I am as Guilty as the next guy of not changing Diagphrams until they go bad. I have been told by some manufactures to replace diagphrams every 6 months and always use a 30 weight Non-Detergent Oil. What is your practical suggest for scheduled Diagphram replacement???

BTW My hydra-cel 25 has had the same Diagphrams for 3 years now. Between being under the truck on a PTO and Diagphrams costing close to $ 300 I don't like changing them more that necessary. I am Lucky enough to have a back up Hydra-Cel to switch out when the Diagphrams go out. At the price of Hydra-Cel pumps I was lucky enough to buy them used at a below value price.
  10. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

It sounds like your diaphragms are blown. You need to take the pump apart and replace them. PITA job, but not to hard.