Lesco space saver in Chevy 1500??

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Tadams, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Tadams

Tadams LawnSite Senior Member

I am in the market for a lesco 200 gallon space saver and I was wondering if it would be too heavy for a chevy 1500 truck? The 200 gallons weighs 1600 lbs. and I would guess that the unit weighs close to 400 lbs so we are at the one ton mark. The truck is an extended cab 2wd with helper springs on it and a 350 in it. I really don't want to buy another truck this year so I was hoping to get by with this truck. I'm probably pushing the limits of this truck but do you think it would work?

2. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

It will work but barely. I had the same setup for about 4 months on my 1500 and it was not pleasant. The brakes are your biggest problem. IMO it is a marginal setup. I have it on a 3500 now and it is a world of difference.

3. Atlantic Lawn

Atlantic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Outer Banks NC

Will it work, sure. Mount over or a bit ahead of axle. Is it recommended, I think you know that answer.

4. sclawndr

sclawndr LawnSite Senior Member

If you mean can you drive it down the road, yes. But if you're asking if it's legal, the answer is probably not. You're likely way over the GVWR when loaded and you won't like the fine if you get stopped.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

And it SURE isn't safe! Essentially, an accident waiting to happen...and you DON'T want to be involved hauling a hundred and some gallons of pesticide. It would be bad enough hauling dirt or something, but with that, - you are talking a whole different thing.

6. Turfdoctor1

Turfdoctor1 LawnSite Senior Member

i've done it for 3 years, no problems. I put Timbren shock system on the truck, it bounces like crazy, but holds the weight fine. True about the breaks, but like I said, 3 years, no issues for me.

Our plant board said the setup was no problem, legality wise, when I was stopped for a routine check.

7. n-green

n-green LawnSite Senior Member

Put a skid of fert back there and go for a ride and see how it feels. I don' t think it would be very safe.

8. sclawndr

sclawndr LawnSite Senior Member

It wouldn't matter if you put extra leafs and three extra pairs of shocks in it - if you're over the GVWR, you're illegal. I wouldn't rely on an opinion from the plant board - the only opinion that matters is the state trooper who pulls you over and I doubt he'd be impressed by what they said.

9. dwc

dwc LawnSite Senior Member

according to chevrolet.com, the payload for an extended cab short bed 2wd 1500 is 1,600 pounds. Don't forget to add the weight of the driver and all passengers, all your gear, fuel, plus your 2,000 pound sprayer. Looks like you are coming up on being almost double your legal payload for a 1/2 ton. This is for a 2008, so the year of your truck may be lower.

10. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

If it it reg as a half ton then thats what it is, its not a one ton because you have timbrens and extra leafs. Could you run it with 90 gallons yes. If you hit some one full your screwed because you are over weight period, gross negligence because you exceeded what the truck was rated for. Do things right , do things legally, yes you might get away with it, but what if you get in an accident or worse someone dies. You will be sharing a bunk in a room the size of my closet.