Lesco Split Drive Aerator

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Premo Services, Sep 14, 2001.

1. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I had setup aerations to do and luckily we did get some rain. I took advice from here and went to lesco dealer to see about aerators. I rented the aerator that they had, it was a split drive unit. I was amazed at how nice it pulled the plugs out. This machine is the cadilac of all the aerators that I have rented.The weight of it made the plugging in the groud very nice! There was a neighbor that was watching me and said that the aerators that he rented never put that kind of plugs out. He asked me to bid on his lawn, I measured the lawn and gave him the rather large bid and he said that he needed to think about it. I finished up doing the job and he said he wanted me to do his lawn, as soon as I could. I had finished with all my jobs and was tired, and it was getting late,but for the money, I called him and told him I could do the aeration before dark, and do seeding the following morn. When I arrived at the house, he had a check made out and wanted to pay me, he was so impressed with the neighbors job. He now wants me to do aerations in the spring and fall, to get his lawn in shape.
    This was a great machine, and next year I will be adding it to my list of equiptment. I would like to know what the difference in this is compared to the clasen split drive to make my decision.

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

One is Red and the other is Green. Classen makes them both.

The same thing goes with the tow behind split axel aerators.

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

What does that particular machine go for, both the Classen name and the Lesco?

4. Eric ELM

If I remember right, it was about $2800 for the w/b split axle steerable aerator.

The tow model 48 is around $1250 and the 60" is around $1700

5. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Eric,
    How do you pick up your tow behind to cross driveways, load, etc.?? :) ED

6. Eric ELM

It has transport wheels which you can lift the machine with. I also drilled extra holes so I can use the wheels as guage wheels when I only want to aerate at 2" or 3", all the way up is 4"

7. jnjnlc

jnjnlc LawnSite Member

You rented an aerator from Lesco. Them turkeys here told me they don't rent them.

I would love to rent the Classen split drive instead of the 19" blue bird from the rental place.

8. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I have rented the bluebird 19,21`s or whatever they are, and they work the heck out of you, and don`t do a real good job of plugging. The split drive is a dream, and I am setting up jobs for next week so I will rent it again.:D

9. bkd

bkd LawnSite Member

What kind of horsepower do you need to pull the 48" lesco? Is it ok to use my Ferris 60" ZTR mower to pull it?

10. GreenStar

GreenStar Banned

hey how did this thing work out. give me some ideas i kind of puzzeld why they call it a split drive does it turn