Lesco Sprayer Purchase

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Markf, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Markf

Markf LawnSite Senior Member

My son and I are considering buying a sprayer. I just got off the phone with the local Lesco rep. He stated that it may not be wise to buy used. The reason being is that if the prior owner ran Roundup through the system, there is nothing on the market that could clean out the Roundup and negative results could happen. He said that we should buy new for tick, fert, herbicide spraying and buy a second used sprayer for the Roundup. Does this make sense or is it a sales ploy? Thanks in advance.

Mark

2. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I sprayed round up through mine several times with no problem. just rinsed it out with water.

3. mkroher

mkroher LawnSite Senior Member

can't use the tank for both tick and herbicide.. unless you want to clean the tank to go from one to the other.

Isn't round-up just a soluable salt? Surely it can be rinsed out?

4. Pilgrims' Pride

Pilgrims' Pride LawnSite Senior Member
    from MA.

I used a 300 gal lesco sprayer for years. I bought it used for a good price.
    I sprayed EVERYTHING through it and never had a problem.
    I used it for turf, weed & feed type apps, then cleaned it with lesco's cleaning product and then turned around and sprayed trees with it.
    Never a problem.

5. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

It's a sales ploy. Purge out what's in the unit & you will be fine. Also: nitrogen fert neutralizes Roundup. Also: "tank cleaner" works. We just double rinse & have never had a prob.

6. ampeg76

ampeg76 LawnSite Senior Member

i believe with glyphosate products a triple rinse is in order!

but in saying that, if you can afford a dedicated rig for non-selective herbicides, i would go that route:)

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Gee, that is really ironic and unusual for Lesco to hire someone so ignorant and uneducated as a rep.. They usually do better than that when selecting employees. I'm glad you are on here, because I would otherwise suggest you go somewhere and ask someone who is knowledgeable on this. Obviously this "rep" has not a clue. I used a tank for years and made the transition back and forth. If the tank gets rinsed well, it is safe. There are several products out there including a product sold by Lesco called Nutra-sol. Even now, with my Perma-green, it is used for gly transitions.
    First thing you need to understand, is that glyphosate (Roundup), was not developed as a non selective herbicide. It was originally invented and devised as a growth regulator. When gly is diluted down that much, it will NOT kill grass, weeds, etc.. It WILL slow the ****** the growth, and as a side effect, turns some of the vegetation a little yellow on top at times.
    As long as enough water is ran through the tank and hose, the residue is so diluted down, that it has no effect. After you mix a new tank on top of that, you will see absolutely no effect. To be safe and to ensure the well being of the equipment, Nutrasol should be used.

8. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

I use my Permagreen and other sprayers for Roundup. I rinse the tank twice with water. Then run a couple gals of clean water through the hoses and nozzles. Never had a problem in 15 years. I do like to dedicate a backpack sprayer for Roundup just to avoid the clean out.

9. The Ranger

The Ranger LawnSite Member
    from NE Ohio

I have sprayed RU out of my herbicide sprayer and then gone right back to regular herbicide. In fact, I had booth tanks hooked up to the same sprayer pump with seperate valves. When switching back from RU we would run the other mix through but by-pass it to the RU tank just to rinse the RU out of the lines. Never has a problem. That is bunk IMO.

10. Markf

Markf LawnSite Senior Member

Thank you for your advice. I believe we will end up buying a new unit. Now the question is do I get a small separate trailer and permanently mount the unit there and pull it with the truck? This would alleviate the problem of mounting and dismounting the unit into the bed of the truck. I do not have a backhoe. I could rig something up using a 1 1/2 ton come-a-long, but the trailer sounds a lot simpler. What might be the down fall to the trailer? Has anyone run into a similar situation?

Thanks.

Happy Independence Day! :usflag:

Mark