Lesco Sprayer

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Hogjaw, Nov 26, 2007.

1. Hogjaw

Hogjaw LawnSite Senior Member

Have two space saver units.

Have enjoyed using, but don't like having to replace the diaphragms each year......one or more will split.

Thanks to the local Lesco dealership they suggested pulling the engine/pump in order to make the job easier on me. I did......it's easier.

Wondering if other brands have to be done annually?

What are draw back(s) to an impeller pump?

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Hog,
    Which pump do you have? Must be the 232--not the big D 50.

I have the smaller pump (I think it is a 232--they claim 6 gal per minute). Two years ago I replaced the diaphrgms (preventative basis) in July and December. This year I used the Permagreen more so I didn't replace the diaphrgms until December. I estimate I need to replace after about 10,000 to 20,000 gallons. Normal, I guess.

I suspect ester-based weed killers are worse, concentrated (low-volume) is harder on diphragms, warmer water is worse. High pressure is harder on them. I use about 100 to 120 pounds pressure, avoid max rpm from the motor.

I understand that impellor pumps are good for volume, but poor at higher pressures. Shaft seal can leak. Do not self-prime.

Possibly you need to go to a bigger, stronger pump--the D 50 or maybe a brand like Udor.

3. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got a Gregson-Clarke V-200 skid sprayer and have had nothing but great things to say about it. It has an Udor pump by the way.

4. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I, too, have the space-saver. Have the same issues. Would love to hear alternatives.

5. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

i know the new spacesaver uses the hypro 403 rotary ( 3 sets of valves and diaphrams) the d -30 is a pancake model 2 sets of valves and diaphrams.
    any diapharm pumps can damage real easily if you allow it run empty or unprimed for an extended period of time. the diaphram has oil inside the pump on 1 side and application mixture on the other. remove one (running on empty) and this causes greater pressure on 1 side and no pressure on the other. the diaphram over streches and cracks causing oil and water to mix and that milky substance in the fill tube. diaphrams can also dry out when put into storage in the off season shorting the life of the diaphrams. i would try to
    fill the pump with some light lube mixture on the chem side when in storage.
    the d 403 is easier to work on off the setup due to the angle of the heads and try to keep the o-rings in place.
    i like the d -30 only because there is only 2 sets to change and i'm more familar with it.
    keep extra orings on hand when you open it up they almost never fit back in and use anti stick stuff like the silver goop on all bolt treads and shoulders chem. wreck everything.

20 years on the wrong end of the spreader

6. Hogjaw

Hogjaw LawnSite Senior Member

Have the D-403.

We run 50 psi to pre-emerge and post with trigger opened............pressure goes to 70 psi when we close trigger,......and engine is set at approximately 1/4 to 1/2 power. Even after filling, we see grit / gravel in bottom of strainer basket, so would imagine some minute particles still get past and in the pump.

Thanks for response.

7. Nate@TLCS

Nate@TLCS LawnSite Member

I worked for a couple of "serious production" lawn care companies 250,000+ sqft per day @ 1.5 gallons per minute. We would change the diaphragms in the spring and thats it. 250 gallons x 5 days x 30 weeks = 37500 gal per year. Most pumps are meant to be ran at 2-3k rpm, and never ever run them bone dry!!!!! ten gallons really doesn't cost that much. also check the "pump oil" often.

8. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Diaphragms need to be replaced yearly. You might not have one go on you (friend of mine had one finally go after TEN YEARS of moderate use) after a year, but they do tend to blow at the worst possible time. It's not a fault of the sprayer or the pump, just an inherent problem with diaphragm pumps in general. It's a PITA job, but not that hard to do. Give you something to do over the winter.