1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lesco spreader calibration?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Drivefaster35, Apr 1, 2006.

1. Drivefaster35

Drivefaster35 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

hey Guys I boutght a 80 lb Rotary Spreader from lesco the other day and haven a little trouble calibrating it as I am new to fertilizing this year i could really use some help I set the spreaer at 15 which lesco says would give me about 4.2 lbs per 1000 sqft but I'm gettin about 6 lbs per 1000 sg ft at that setting I'm using EC Grow 13-2-5 .10 deminsion by the way any help or advice would be apreciated or maybe even a website with a video or 2 on how to calibrate a spreader or even apply at the right rate-thanks:waving:
  2. olive123

olive123 LawnSite Senior Member

you may have to adjust the plate. do you use the number keys? that is the proper way to set the spreader if that is the case your overlapping too much or adjust your walking speed.
  3. Drivefaster35

Drivefaster35 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

I tyried adjusting the plate but its still messed up but I do think there is a possiblity that I just did to much overlap and other suggestions?
  4. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I try and throw over to the last set of wheel marks for overlap.
  5. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

If you go by the settings it should be ok. It might be to much overlap.:confused:
  6. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

Two things: Use a calibration gauge to make sure the numbers match on the gauge and your setiings on your spreader. I think you can adjust to shut off lever to match this up. Second, although not likely enough to make your overage 50%, what about walking pace? The slower you walk, the less wide your pass, thus the more concentrated your application, thus the fewer feet between passes, thus the more passes per yard...... It's feed by gravity, so when it's open the same amount comes out whether your standing still or going 8 MPH. Did this come out right? I'm trying to explain it clearly but sometimes I make it more confusing!!?? I hope I helped, Marc
  7. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

If Lesco indicates 4.2 lbs/M at setting 15, that is based on their product which is a standard SGN particle size. If the product you use has a smaller particle size, then your spreader setting would be lower to acheive the same 4.2 lbs/M rate.

Most importantly, you will find Lesco's setttings to be a general guideline. Since everyone doesn't spread with the same speed and technique, your mileage may vary.
  8. ProLawns

ProLawns LawnSite Senior Member

Don't trust the setting numbers on the spreader. Mine is one and a half numbers off. Use the calibration guage that came with the spreader. If you don't have one Lesco owes you one.
  9. LonniesLawns

LonniesLawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from KS

10. frotis

frotis LawnSite Senior Member