1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

lesco spreader hard to push.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by ant, Mar 2, 2007.

1. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

i have a lesco spreader that is 3 yrs. old that seems to bind up at the gear box.
    they told me back then that there was an adjustment in that box.
    can you guys help me?
  2. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

Is this the open gear box or enclosed gear box? I'm trying to think what's causing your problem. Seems like I had this happen with an enclosed. I'll have to scratch my arse a little more on this. I can't think of any adjustment, though. The open gearbox had two grease fittings on it. Like I said, I'll have to sleep on it, but it seems like I had to replace the two gears inside the enclosed model to fix the issue.
  3. pesticide

pesticide LawnSite Member

should be grease nipples just inside the wheels on collars around the axle. more nipples around gear box. scratchin my arse too on the gearbox thing. ive worn the gears out on one and had to replace but worn gears dont make it harder to push. might grease every contact point on the thing everywhere with wd40 and grease.
  4. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

closed gear box
  5. MStine315

I knew if I slept on it, I'd get it. Where the stem comes up out of the gear box enclosure to head toward the impellor, there's a bushing in the gearcase. If I remember right, this bushing was worn, or needed lube on it, or something like that. In fact it might have been worn and I put lube on the new one. I do know it was that spot that was giving me trouble though. I'll head over to lesco's site to see if I can get you more specifics.
  6. MStine315

I hate thinking this hard, it makes my head hurt. Lesco's sometimes helpful site was not in this case. I thought I could find a parts manual, but no go. Anyway, the more I sit here and think, it was the bushings in the gearbox where the AXLES come into the gearbox, NOT the impellor shaft. It may be worth your time to call tech support Monday to confirm, but this was my problem. Hope my all my rambling has helped.
  7. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Open the gear box, if everything looks good, lay some quality grease on everything.

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

push harder u wimp
  9. garydale

garydale LawnSite Senior Member

A couple of years back I had one of four Lesco push spreaders that was hard to push.

It turned out that the frame had been bent compressing the propeller shaft. We varified the cause by spreading the space with a block of wood. It was vertually impossible to bent it back perminently.

I believe the damage was caused by my people piling extra bags of lime on the fully loaded spreader. Thereby saving a refill trip from the back yards.
    The 80 lb. capacity being greatly exceeded.

We tried heating the frame to bend it back, however the spreader was never the same.
  10. willietd2

willietd2 LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

ah thats funny stuff right there