Lesco Spreader out of stock??

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by rbeitz, Apr 4, 2005.

1. rbeitz

rbeitz LawnSite Member

I am in the market for a decent spreader for my 2 acre property. I currently have a Scott's SG 2000 and it has got to go. After searching this forum and reading a ton of posts I decided that I would spring for the Lesco steel framed epoxy coated spreader for $225. It seems to be well made and the majority of folks on this board say LESCO LESCO LESCO when you ask about off brand spreaders.

So anyway, I looked up the steel framed spreader on the Lesco website and all the Lesco stores within 50 miles of me (There are about 12 of them) are out of stock. So, I called my local store that I usually deal with and my sales guy said that it was being discontinued and they would not be getting anymore in. He stated that they are only going to carry the SS model from now on. A SS model would be nice but since I am not in the business I can't justify the extra expense.

Has anyone else heard this? And if I can't buy the Lesco what should I get? Earthway? Spyker?
  2. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

I have noticed someone selling a Spyker 58-22 (similar to Lesco) stainless steel on Ebay for about $200. Was going to get one but got out bid at the last minute. Might want to try that. I think it retails for $350 or so.
  3. cemars

cemars LawnSite Senior Member

I have owned one epoxy coated Lesco and never another, now we have 7 SS Lesco's. The problem is that the materials being used through spreaders are corosive and the epoxy will rust. Lesco is targeting the pros and for anyone in the business the extra $100 or so is worth it. Even if you just use it in a limited capacity, the SS will last you a lifetime with little maintainence whereas the epoxy will need to be cleaned and painted regularly to last as long.
  4. spoolinaround

spoolinaround LawnSite Senior Member

right now the SS spreaders are $325 cash & carry with the hopper extention
  5. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

the ss is well worth the money.

ours is over 10 years old, and still works perfectly.
  6. rbeitz

rbeitz LawnSite Member

I was at the Lesco store today to pick up some seed and I checked out the SS spreader. It is one nice unit and I can see why it is so highly recommended on this site. Unfortunately, as much as I would love to put it in the garage, it is just not in the budget right now. On the way back to work this afternoon I passed a place that sold Earthway spreaders. I ended up buying the Earthway 2170 commercial spreader for $130. I can tell you that Earthway's definition of commercial and Lesco's definition are worlds apart. There is no comparison between the two. Now I can finally throw out my Scotts Speedy Green 2000 and make spreading my 2 acre yard a little bit more enjoyable. I'll use the Earthway for a few years and when it wears out I'll try to add the Lesco to my list of yard toys!