Lesco Spreader pattern overlap

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by treemonkey, Jul 10, 2006.

1. treemonkey

treemonkey LawnSite Member

Lesco's owner manual and bag recommendations are weak regarding proper lesco rotary spreader overlap patterns. They mention a 10' effective pattern width and that the outside (5') edge is about 1/2 the application rate as in the middle (a tapered pattern).

I understand spreader age, speed, and granual size are variables preventing exact recommendations.

So, when the bag reccommends setting #15 for approximately 1lb. N per 1000 sq. ft. , do you run the spreader at 10 ft. paths apart with just a foot or two overlap in the middle. Does this give uniformity or streaking?

Or.......many have recommended that most even application is achieved if you have your edge pattern overlap to the center of your last pass - in effect, a 100% overlap. With this approach, one would have to calibrate the spreader at 1/2 the rate, to get the full rate with overlap. Thus, you throw out the bag recommendations??

I assume the bag reccommendation is for my first scenario??

Does anyone do my second technique - overlap to the previous centerline?

The second method would result in 5 ft. between "passes", which seems like a lot on a large lot.

Any help is appreciated. Which method is most correct. Without doing detaled "pan' collection trials, its hard to know.

thank you
  2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

I use Scotts spreader--but--i try to have a seven foot wheel-track to wheel-track width. Center to center about 9 feet. A few particles reach to previous wheel track.
  3. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I spread to the last wheel mark
  4. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

welcome to the world of lesco spreaders, if you haven't used it yet, take it back and get the anderson sr200 (scotts), or the lesco works great for spreading icemelt on side walks in the winter, the spread swath is just right for a 48" walk.
  5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

The Lesco spreader gives a perfect spread - everytime when used correctly. After the initial border pass, overlap to where the prills fall between the two tiretracks of the previous pass. Spiral counterclockwise, and you will always have a perfect spread. If you end up with an odd or narrower (half width path) in the center to do, then you close your 3rd hole and and dop your sideguard. Never any streaks...never any stripes,,,never any clouds.
  6. treemonkey

Thank you Gentlemen,

You are right, for the most part it seems that most people run the edge of their spreader pattern to the wheel marks and/or center of their last pass. Lesco confirmed this in an e-mail that said their recommendations are based on a 5' distance from pass to pass (with some variation possible due to material, speed, etc.). It was a local person that gave different (bad) advice. Other brands might use a different recommendation.

Tying in to the other current thread on Lesco calibration, I have learned that many people must ignore the spreader manual regarding how to set it up.

Doing the "cans and pans" check is THE only way to adjust a spreader for accurate delivery. Anything else is guessing. According to the instructions:

1. Adjust the left and right holes to get equal distribution - left and right edge at about 5 ' out (+/-) should be 1/2 of the center rate - a tapered pattern with an "effective 10' spread pattern". Kind of like a T-jet tapered spray pattern.

2. I was able to do this with my Lesco - why do others say it always throws heavy to the left. Does nobody use the pan method to set their spreaders. Does nobody adjust the left and right holes?

3. Once I got the tapered pattern equal, more or less, I attached a large garbage bag under the spreader and adjusted the rate over a 100' course, collecting and measuring the material and adjusting it to x number of pounds per 1000 sq. ft.. I checked and tweaked the pattern again. And, checked the field application results too.

Rotary spreaders are much more prone to variations than setting up a spray boom with T-jet nozzles. Walking speed, the "tilt" of the spreader, material size/weight all affect the spread pattern. It sounds like the Scotts spreader is more forgiving.

My "best guess" setting of the spreader by eyeball was way off and the bag recommendations can also vary greatly from the actual spreader setting by several numbers.
  7. treemonkey

delete duplicat post - sorry
  8. treemonkey

Delete duplicate post
  9. Grassiass

Grassiass LawnSite Member

Hey Runner- what do you mean when u say 'Spiral counterclockwise'?
  10. Grassiass

Grassiass LawnSite Member

Good info! Years past- we would borrow a vendor's calibration box for our lesco spreaders- but this year we bit the bullet and bought our own so we can keep ours all calibrated throughout the seasons.