Lesco Spreader Problem

Discussion in 'LESCO' started by dkeisala, Mar 11, 2006.

1. dkeisala

dkeisala LawnSite Senior Member

I recently purchased the 80# broadcast spreader. I assembled it correctly (I believe) but I'm having a minor problem.

When the spreader is set to the full on position (#30) the impeller hits the threaded end of the control rod. The control rod has a slight downward bend about 1/3 of the way down from the on/off lever. I contacted Lesco and was informed that the control rod should be straight, not bent. I was shipped a new control rod (part # 706035) but it too is bent.

Do I have the correct part and have just improperly installed it or should the control rod be straight?

2. Bob West LESCO

Bob West LESCO Sponsor

The rod should be straight, and I apologize for the fact that you got a faulty replacement part. We will replace the rod for you free of charge. Please email me your company name and mailing address so I can get this shipped to you right away. I can be emailed at rwest@lesco.com.

Thanks,
    Bob West
    LESCO

3. funpilot

funpilot LawnSite Member

The fact that someone from Lesco replies to posts here just convinced me to buy from them.

4. rider

rider LawnSite Member
    from ohio

Hate to tell it to yea Bob, but the rod is supposed to have a slight bend in it.That's how it clears the center support when opening. It's hitting the impeller either because it is not adjusted right or the rod needs to be cut off a little.

5. dkeisala

This is probably the case but I am I wrong to assume, after spending $350 on a fertilizer spreader, that I shouldn't have to further fabricate the damn thing after I receive it. I shouldn't have to manufacture their product, that's what I pay them to do and I expect it to be right the first time. This, on top of the fact that they shipped the thing separately than the spreader cover, which I purchased at the same time, and then had the audacity to further charge and bill me for additional shipping. I can't get a straight answer from them what the fricken control rod is suppose to look like (I've had 3 Lesco people tell me it should be straight) and further, my first, only and probably last experience with Lesco has not been a pleasant but one of frustration and angst. In my opinion, they all need to get their sh!t together.

6. rider

rider LawnSite Member
    from ohio

Now don't get all mad. You also might check the connection at the bottom of the rod. the L bracket that the rod attaches to should be facing you. if its toward the bottom this could also cause it to hit. The spreaders with the straight rods were the generation before, there should be a slight bend of about a couple of degrees.

7. rider

rider LawnSite Member
    from ohio

p.s. best to pick up equipment at a service center, they usually have them already put together

8. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

The rod needs to be adjusted. Loosen the nuts and adjust until both it doesn't hit. Takes a minute.

9. dkeisala

Done this but then the calibration is off.

The L bracket is facing me

No service center even close to me in this part of the country.

10. Mscotrid

Mscotrid LawnSite Bronze Member
    from USA

I have purchased and assembled over 50 of the lesco spreaders over a 20 year span. Never have I had a incorrect spreader. I'd bet you have assembled it incorrectly. After you have your Rod thru the bracket move the calibration adjustment nob too wide open.. As you tighten the nut on the rod the shutoff plate should start too close the hole. You want too tighten that nut too the point wear the hole is closed when the handle is in the back position. If you have to force the handle back after you open it or feel it wanting to lift the hopper/bind you need too loosen the nut. Do not rely soley on the calibration gauge that brings you into the ballpark. You have to gauge according too product and spreading style.

Too answer the question on the rod. Proir to the new style spreader coming out the older version the rod was straight.