1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lesco Spreader Setting for Anderson's

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RAlmaroad, Jan 31, 2008.

1. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Hey Guys:
    I'm having a problem calibrating Anderson's fertilizer to the Lesco Spreader as Anderson's does not recognize that spreader. In all of the past years I've used Lesco but have found a better analysis on the Anderson's.
    Does anyone have a calibration theory for using say 8lb of fertilizer/K? Rittenhouse has a chart that goes up to about 7lb/K but not much further. I don't need it exact but close enough to tweek after the first bag or so. I found 5-5-24 with Barricade for the Centipede. The amount of barricade/50lb bag gets about 6K/bag. This will give the centipede about 1/2lbN/50lb bag. Not quite but I plan to suppliment the little extra with another product.
    Any help to calibrate the Lesco spreaded for 8lb/K would be great
  2. RAlmaroad

from SC

Forgot to mention that I generally go by the old 100ft travel by 10 width method.
  3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

so you are going to put 12 pounds of potash on 6000 sqft of grass? Muriate with a fairly high level of chloride?

If this is a one time thing--just use the 4 pound rate and go over it twice.

Otherwise get your Lesco spreader opening guage and find the opening size for the 7 pound rate and set your Lesco spread to slightly more than that width--say about 20 millimeters. Weigh it and spread--weigh it again to find the difference. Adjust and repeat.

If no scales--use a full bag and mesure how many sq ft you covered. Adjust and repeat.
  4. RAlmaroad

from SC

Yea, I know it's a little high but sand leaches quickly. I though about using XL-2G and then my regular 15-0-15 but am going to try this and see for a more prolonged pre-em. Last year the Dimension pooped out way too early. Even though about a 2nd app of Dimension. Centipede is a beautiful grass but required special treatment. St. Augustine is good but required Nitrogen almost every month along with everything else On some of those yards I'll go over them 10 times or more. But they are beautifu.
  5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Some types of potash are highly water soluble--unless you can find a coated potash. Heavy rains could leach it out.

I am not sure how this would work--Barricade in first round and then use liquid Dimension, Pre-em or Pendalum Aqua Cap in the second round. Good question for a technical mind--like Ric. Hey Ric! What do you think?
  6. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Set the SR2000 at K 1/2 for starters.
  7. RAlmaroad

from SC

I had lost those keys for the holes and just made another set from a friend.
    Thanks. Roy
  8. naughty62

naughty62 LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

Anderson golf help line 1-800-225-2639.Parts are handled by psb co. .1-614-559-2705 .order a couple calibration keys and see about a manual .Have parts # handy .They will want the parts number for that model .If i rememeber right its on the rate control slide bar. What is the active ingredient %for the 5-5-24 fert/stonewall combo ,.19% ,.38% ?
  9. RAlmaroad

from SC

It's Anderson's fertilize with Barricade. Stonewall is Lesco's Prodiamine. AI is .42 Barricade which is what I'll be using for Centipede that requires almost NO Nitrogen and used in my Lesco #80.
    Proper pre-em needs to be put on according to label. Some guys put it on according to grass needs of nitrogen which cuts down on the pre-em, thus a lot of breakthrough I'm guessing. Our soil in SC is so sandy that it leaches out most of the K. Almost all soil test show a major need for the K.
  10. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

remember comparing one manuf to another will get you close but measuring and appling will be the best as prill sizes differ