Lesco spreader vs. Shindaiwa spreader

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by amanda8950, Sep 23, 2007.

1. amanda8950

amanda8950 LawnSite Member

Looking into getting a new spreader for the fall applications ( seed/lime/winterizer ). Opinions on Lesco vs. Shindaiwa spreaders ? I have Shindaiwa trimmers and blowers and Lesco aerator and having nothing negative to say about any of them. Thought Shindaiwa was more known for it's power equipment but saw 1 of their spreaders and looked decent. Any thoughts ?

2. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

My favorite is the new Spyker 288 Super w/border patrol & cover. 2nd favorite is the old style high-wheel LESCO ---. my guys don't really like the current LESCO spreaders cuz of how bulky they are. Not familiar with Shindaiwa spreaders, just their power equipment & backpack sprayers which I have no problem with -- just don't use ours much anymore..

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

i have not seen the Shindawa spreader.
    However, I hope it would be low in cost and have lots of desireable features. I feel the American companies have not improved their products much--no solving of problems--no innovations.

So everyone, what features would you like to see on a new spreader?

I have a huge list. I will start out. Which of these features would you like to see? What features would influence you to buy an improved spreader?

100% non rust (including roll pins)

Cost about $99

Under 25 pounds for easy lifting

Teflon coating on hopper and platter for absolutely no-stick

Rain cap or hopper cover that keeps it dry even in heavy rain

On the fly handle mounted side-to-side pattern adjustment

Built in cubic inch and approx pounds graduations inside the hopper

Non rusting hinged screen, that also pops out, in two hole sizes.

Better agitator, mild for regular fertilizer--extreme 4 wire for difficult products

Replacable hole templates so we can usually use one large round hole. With large type hole for salt and small template hole for Merit

No drag stand, so it would not add drag from hitting the grass

Better bearings, greasable easy roll

Handle mounted deflector, (with some kind of system to prevent forgetting and leaving it down)

Better balance so that you don't have to lift the handle (much)

Speedometer which records speed, distance, elapsed time and approx area covered

Handles on the side for easy lift into pickup truck

Retaining ring for easy tie-down and locking to truck or trailer

TrainingWheels likes this.
  4. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

all that for 99.00 lol

5. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

http://www.shindaiwa.com/nam/en/products/spreaders/40rs_75rs.php

geeze why not by the scotts at Home Depot....the shin looks like a POS

Stainless lesco is the way to go...with the deflector on it, its no frills and gets the job done....

You're not asking for much are you Riggle....:)

I am surprised that no one has made one out of aluminum to help with the weight...

6. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

7. frotis

frotis LawnSite Senior Member

Shin and Anderson SR-2000's are made by Prize Lawn.

The stainless Shin and Anderson very good spreaders.

www.prizelawnspreaders.com

They also have a much more even spread than lesco and don't spray heavier to one side.

8. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

I have a stainless s75 that is 5 years old. It has pushed probably 100 tons of material through it and it has been flawless. It is a single hole design, but you can change the left to right pattern. The spread is very even and have not had any striping issues that werent user created. The application rate is almost dead on what its supposed to be. Hardest thing is finding the chart that converts lesco number system to letters since not all fert has this. It doesnt do real well with large particles like penn mulch, and it wasnt cheap but I have got my money out of it. Not sure if I would by another now that I have a PG, but it definitely has its place.

9. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

My Shindaiwa is still doing good. It throws way more to the right than to the left though. No big deal once you get used to it.

10. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Mine is adjustable with the slider piece on the bottom its labeled a,b,c