Lesco Spreaders.....Is the "drop spreader" attatchment worth the extra $100??

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by walker-talker, Mar 6, 2003.

1. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

New to the fertilizer and weed control applications. I know that this is a good spreader and is on sale this week ($300 for stainless steel model with 80lb hopper). I went to pick it up and salesman said that having the drop spreader would be a good idea for a new guy. He was talking about outlining beds and stuff to keep the granules (chemical) out of there. He then said it was an extra $100, which I thought was a little steep. It's plastic and looks like it might get broke easy with constant loading and unloading. It's not all plastic, the mounting hardware looked like stainless steel.

Anyone out there have experience with the lesco spreaders with this attachment???

2. Russ

Russ LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have the drop/broadcast spreader but I do use the $30.00 deflector on both my push and truckster Lesco spreaders. With the 3rd hole shut off and the deflector down I outline the property, house, beds, drive, and walks first. This will practically eliminate blowing walks and drives and keep 99.99% of product on target.
  3. Lombardi

Lombardi LawnSite Senior Member

I just bought a new Lesco also. The deflector comes free with the stainless steel one. This deflector is easy to activate when spreading near beds. I wouldn't spend the $100 on the drop spreader attachment.
  4. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

On the stainless steel model the deflector and shower cap come free. I guess the guy brought up the drop spreader issue because I had asked about doing small medians. I guess I could use a small hand-held spreader for something like that.....a lot cheaper than $100.

5. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

I just spoke with a local guy who has about 500 fert accounts about the drop spreader attachment. He said it puts all the product off to the sides and very little inbetween. He also said it is very difficult to calibrate. I think its a great idea that needs quite a bit of refinement before I would ever consider one.
  6. lordohturf

lordohturf LawnSite Member
    from SW OH

If you do icemelt on sidewalks , this spreader is excellent.

Also great for seeding close to landscape beds, and applying
    the seed starter mulch pellets