Lesco spreaders throwing to the right?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GreenHor7, Apr 17, 2008.

1. GreenHor7

GreenHor7 LawnSite Member

Is it just me but does it seem like all lesco spreaders throw to the right very heavy or is it just me. I am not a newbie but i have noticed a little stripping do to this. Any thoughts or suggestions.

2. jonlavonne

jonlavonne LawnSite Member

try closing the third hole, it seems to help some.

3. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

agree with the above the thrid hole might need to be 1/2 closed play with it if it's an old spreader you might have to "fix" it to stay where you want it

4. buttaluv

buttaluv LawnSite Senior Member
    from MidWest

I always heard that was a problem with these spreaders...but Knock on wood..knock, knock, I have not had it in the 3 years, I've been doing it commercially!

5. PSUTURFGEEK

PSUTURFGEEK LawnSite Senior Member

I have found that the 4:1 Ratio Lesco spreaders are the most even Lesco spreader they have ever made, Big companies like Chemlawn will only buy the Hippo and Rhino models which are made by Lesco for them only, and the reason for it is consistentcy with inexperienced applicators, if you ask your lesco rep he can get you a new one or you can change yours back yourself.

6. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

What exactly do I ask them to do?

Mine started throwing to one side when the throwing disc got bent up after the spreader took a nose dive into my trailer side when I turned too fast.

7. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

welcome to the wonderful world of lesco spreaders... many on here will do a counter cloclwise rotation around the lawn to avoid striping (like i do in my PG ultra and magnum) and others will buy the sr2000 and have no more problems of this nature because the lesco sucks and they know there is a problem, but people just adjust to it and keep swearing by them. SR2000! all the way!

8. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Ok, what brand of fertilizer are you using? That will answer some of the questions on actually streaks if you are seeing some.

Also, The Lesco spreaders APPEAR to throw more to one side than the other, but it's not really what you are seeing. It simply thorws more of an arc to one side than the other, but the side that has the greater arc to it actually is thowing the same amount of material as the other side.

I couldn't even tell you the last time I saw streaks in a lawn I fertilized with a Lesco spreader, using Lesco or another high quality professional fertilizer, going up and back with my passes.

The only spreader I use in a "circle" is the Permagreen. SImply because it's a lot easier to operate it in this manner. Yes, it also gurantees "no streaks", providing you space your passes right.

9. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

i've done the pan test on the lesco, and it is differant. and i messed with it for a day trying to correct it with no luck. the sr2000 is a simple twist of the cone. the best thing is that you can adjust the cone anytime and your application rate (calibration) never changes.

10. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Put out 10 paper plates and push through them. Count the particles in each plate. Readjust and try again. Remember the hole on the left controls the amount thrown to the right. Close it part way. Try closeing the holes partially with duct tape until you get a good pattern.

Make sure any residue built up on the impeller or hopper is removed.

I calibrated very carefully, three times last winter in my supplier's warehouse. And now the setting is off--too much is flowing out.

Does temperature affect the flow rate? What about humidity?