1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lesco spreaders

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Schlepie, Nov 22, 2003.

1. Schlepie

Schlepie LawnSite Member

What are the major differences between the lesco broadcast spreaders and the Scotts type spreader. Would it be advantagous to buy a used lesco instead of a new one?

2. Rustic Goat

Rustic Goat LawnSite Bronze Member

Biggest difference I've found is in pricing.
    Lesco does offer some higher end spreaders, but I haven't found the physical difference to be worth the money over a Scotts.

If you've found a used Lesco at a good price though, and it works, I see no reason not to get it. Unless of course it's price is still higher than a Scotts.
  3. gwwilson

gwwilson LawnSite Member

i've been using a pull behind AGRI-FAB. bought new 4yrs ago and just had replace the wire. but, i replaced it with an model air plane propellar. also the nut was rusted on so i had to expoxy it on. but heck it works better now.
  4. The Lawn Crew

The Lawn Crew LawnSite Member

Get the Scotyt's SR2000, it has an adjustable cone under the hopperr to even spread material on both sides and will spread fertilizer in a 12' to 14' width with ease. Fast, accurate and convenient. Pay the extra money for the stainless steel SR2000 with the side deflector. It will keep the fertilizer off walkways and out of pools. People get pissy if they see fert on their driveway, etc.

I've used the Lesco also this year, it can't compete with Scott's: uneven spread, not as much of a swath, etc.

Trust me on this one.

Good luck!
  5. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

:confused: :confused:
  6. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

Use a $125 earthway to fertilize and it works faultlessly. $450 Lesco has sit in the garage all year..... might sell it.
    I use a blower for drives.
  7. rkk95

rkk95 LawnSite Member
    from west PA

IMHO a scotts spreader will out perform a lesco spreader any day of the week, the only thing that we use lesco spreaders for is to spread lime. they take a little more abuse than the scotts. a scotts spreader around this area is about $480 and a lesco is $450 well worth the extra $30.
  8. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

WOW, Lesco spreaders go for $295 around here Stainless too.
  9. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

yep, I paid $285 for my Lesco
  10. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I thought some of those prices sounded high also. I paid $300 for mine....they are usually on sale in either March or April. They sell for $325 normally. These prices are for the stainless steel models. I think the painted models are $25 cheaper.