Lesco Sulfur coated 18-0-18 lots of burn!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Holistic Landscapes, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Holistic Landscapes

Holistic Landscapes LawnSite Member

OK. I set the settings to 2 numbers less than the recommended setting from lesco. I applied on a fairly hot day but not really. Around 81. I"m getting a whole lot of burn even on lawns that have satisfactory sprikler systems. Why am I getting this? It seems that everytime I use a fertilizer product I get burn. The only one I never had any burn with was the bridge product with natural turkey manure pellets in it. Whats the trick for fertilizing in hot temps? Rye fescue and blue grass

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Might be calibration. are you sure you are not putting on to much.

3. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Not to be a flamer but that can't be anything else but misapplication. You can probably still see it when you dig down into a burnt spot.

4. Duramax99

Duramax99 LawnSite Member

What kind of spreader are you using??? How many lbs. per acre are you using??

5. Holistic Landscapes

Holistic Landscapes LawnSite Member

I have a lesco commercial plus spreader... Yea when you dig down in the burn you can see the fert granuel.... I dunno... It says keep setting at 17 but I put it to 15. did my regular swipe back and forth mabye overlapping slightly because the spreader does spread very far and even. What do you think? I even watered in the application after applying just to make sure that the salt wouldn't stay dry on the lawn. I"m confused... and need help with this one. Its defenatly fert burn... :help:

6. arborist-28

arborist-28 LawnSite Member

As a precaution I see all fertilizers as capable of burn lawngrasses if improperly applied. Never exceed the recommended rate, or the lawn may be damaged. Always apply fertilizers when temperatures are cool and the grass leaves are dry and water thoroughly after application.

have you calibrated your fertilizer spreader lately ? that would be something I would check first.. when I apply fert it is usually early in the morning after the dew dries or late in the evening..I always check the weather forcasts and pick the coolest day possible..also as soon as I'm done I water it in as best I can...c

7. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

81 degrees is not too hot by any means. Spreader calibration is very important, but you should also have an idea how much you should be putting down before you start.

50 lb bag of 18-0-18 . . .
    OK, that's 9 lbs of N in the bag . . .
    Applying at 1 lb/MSF . . .
    Doing a 9,000 sf lawn . . .

Should take you exactly one bag to do the whole lawn.

If you're coming up with numbers that jive like that, check other factors

8. Forever Green Lawn

Forever Green Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Where is the burn at? Through the lawn or at the end of your passes? You may be leaving the spreader open for a second after you stop and when you turn you are over applying... just a thought, I've seen it happen a few times over the years.

9. tocs93

tocs93 LawnSite Member

It is impossible to to apply fert to all customers when the temp. is cool, lawn dry, and watered in right away. That is ridiculous! If you are using a product that has 50% PPSCU and you are burning lawns, then there is some other factor causing the burn that you aren't telling us! I've seen guys spray lawns above 81 degrees and they don't burn!

10. Decali

Decali LawnSite Member

I don't think it's the temperature giving you problems or even the nitrogen for that matter. One of the two forms of potassium can be kind of hot though and that's a pretty heavy dose.

Definately check your calibration but if that is on the money, call
    and find out about the potassium issue and adjust down that component if necessary.