Lesco Three Way

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by gregory, Jun 22, 2007.

1. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

whats the deal with three way the label says you can spray it on st augustine floratam grass but the guy at lescos say no you can't whast the deal who's right?

i tried to pm, you ric but it was full...

2. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Ask the Lesco guy WHY he says no. Maybe he's heard from other LCO's that they've had problems with that product.

3. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Greg: I have some St. Augustine in SC...Personally I would NOT use mainly because of the high 2-4D % (30). Centipede and St. Augustine are very tender when 2-4D is applyed at those high doses. It could be used with the smallest AI probably with a little discoloration and could stunt the roots. Ric would know best since he deals with St. Augustine almost all of the time.
    What are you looking to control? That might be the answer instead of the Three-Way.
    Roy

4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

gregory

Yes my PM box is full and I like it that way. But I did call you on the phone and tell you the Lesco Guy doesn't know what he is talking about. Their is a Slight problem with 2,4-D right now because of our Lack of rain and high heat. But Many spray straight 2,4-D on St Augustine will little or no problems. The 3 way Label does say to use 0.75 oz per thousand and this time of year I go 0.50 oz because of the heat. But right now I am not doing any weed control because of the lack of rain. Any Herbicide will stress a turf to some extend so why add more stress to a already stressed turf? If our Rainy season ever kicks in, it will be OK the use 3 way for weed control. But make sure you have a well fertilizer insect free turf.

5. gregory

gregory LawnSite Bronze Member

tks for the phone call ..i will wait until i get my yard back in shape and the rain returns ...man it should be sometime soon...

6. ampeg76

ampeg76 LawnSite Senior Member

3-way has dicamba in it, when the soil temps reach about 80 degrees i quit using it!

all of my lawns have been weed free since aprilish, if anything i yank one or two weeds out if need be, no need running back to the truck to get my backpack!

when the heat kicks up, and i get a new sale, i prefer to use manor or blade

7. mdlwn1

mdlwn1 LawnSite Silver Member

Any weed control is capable of doing damage to any grass in the 79f+ range. Especially if you are using fine particle hand help pump sprayer. Droplet size means an awful lot this time of year.

8. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

What does soil temps and droplet size have to do with using Dicamba (other the particle size can affect drift)? I have been using Three Way all summer and have gotten great control of broadleaves and in safe on the lawn as long as "AIR TEMP" is below 85-90 deg. and the lawn isn't fried.

9. ampeg76

ampeg76 LawnSite Senior Member

during the heat of summer in houston, you would run into some problems using a 3-way mix due to dicamba, you can fubar a lawn pretty quick with it:)

2-4d can be safely used at lower rates though

10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

If you look at the Label of the newer formulation of Three Way they have lowered the Percentage of Dicamba compared to old Three Way. They also added St Augustine to the Three way label at the same time. I know many Applicators use straight 2,4-D in Texas and here in Florida also. However it is the Dicamba that gets both Clover and Black Medic that are hard weeds to control. By lowering the RATE I have found our higher temperatures in Florida don't effect the turf with this application. BTW compare the RATE used on Bahia or Bermuda as apposed to St Augustine. You can get a quicker kill on those species because of the higher rate.