Lesco Tree Stakes

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by eruuska, Oct 6, 2005.

1. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

Couple questions about the 16-10-9 tree stakes. The label at Lesco.com gives me no information other than the analysis.

How many to a 40-lb package?

What's the suggested application rate?

Thanks, guys!

2. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

It contains about 150 stakes and 20 plastic caps.

For trees use 3 stakes for every 2 inches of trunk diameter.

For evergreens and shrubs, use 1 stake for every 2 feet in height or spread.

Pound the stakes into the ground (using the plastic caps) in a circle around the plant at the dripline. Pound stakes 2 to 3 inches below the surface of the soil for best results.

For smaller trees and shrubs DO NOT place closer than 2 feet from the trunk. If the dripline is less than 2 feet, place them at 2 feet.

3. eruuska

eruuska LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks lilmarvin,

I've got about 35 trees to do, most only a couple years old, so I think one bag will be sufficient.

Take care,

4. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

IMO those are a complete waste of time and money. Spread your fertilizer all around the tree at prescribed rate.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

That's the right idea, but you can't do that when there's turf there. I DOES work well in beds and such, though - especially for shrubbery.

6. lilmarvin4064

lilmarvin4064 LawnSite Senior Member

what about deep root injection?

7. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

Actually, you can do it when turf is present. In fact IFAS (Institute for Food and Agricultural Studies) recommends broadcasting over all other methods. When you deep root or use spikes you are only fertilizing small areas of the root system and with deep rooting you run the risk of missing the majority of the roots in the upper region of the soil. I am sure that you all know that the majority of all roots on mature trees are in the first three feet of the soil. That is why broadcast spreading is the best method.