Lesco truck loader falling apart again

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by brentsawyer, Nov 10, 2004.

1. brentsawyer

brentsawyer LawnSite Senior Member

In 2002, I bought the Lesco loader w/ the 16hp Briggs engine. On the first tank of gas, it leaked oil and scorched the cylinder and that took Lesco over a month to get the unit back to me after lab tests to determine if it was my fauly or not, finally determined it was not. Very dissatisfied but I had my problem fixed. Well, two years later, tonight I'm using it and its still on its first tank of gas for the season after just changing oil and filter last week. Well, the engine starts with a little smoke, I check oil level and its low, no prob, add some and start back up and works fine for 5 minutes and then a ton of smoke. Immediately shut it off and look around in oil resovoir and its low as expected, not expecting to fix anything but add more oil and surprisingly it is leaking right out of the engine. Now, this thing has only seen about 3 tankfulls of gas each of the past two years since I have gotten it and it has broken down twice. Any suggestions before I raise holy he!! tomorrow about getting it fixed. I mean come on the engine probably has no more than 12 hours on it and I'll be da#$ed if I'll let it sit 4 more weeks so they can ship it and determine if it was my fault, it leaked all its oil out for the second time in its short career and run a bunch of lab tests and see if the cylinders were scorched from my failure of not having enought oil in the unit as had no fault again but this time it is out of warranty. However, I'm not sure if the replaced the engine or the cylinder last time. If it was the cylinder, my bet is that it is a lemon or it was not put back together right but I'm thinking they replaced the engine.

Thought I should add this since Lesco is a sponsor and I have used them for 9 years. I don't blame them since it is the engine that failed. I do however expect them to do whatever is possible since they selected this type engine for there unit and should stand behind it since it basicaly has done the same thing twice now with virtually a couple days use. No matter the outcome, I will more than likely do business with them again since there customer service has been very good IMO, unless this is not handled the right way. However, you can count me out as far as ever buying another B&S engine again.
  2. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Well, not much to tell you except my days with ANY Briggs motor is over. They're junk. People can say what they want, but after half a dozen motors in various equipment, and all a let down, F them. Funny, their plant is about 15 minutes from my home. I spend money on a lot of equipment, and I can't even contribute to the local economy. I don't care how big they are or how many units they sell, they're garbage.

We probably have over 25 pieces of equipment with motors, and not ONE Briggs engine. Of course, it was planned that way.