1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

LESCO Users....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by advantage landscaping, Oct 30, 2007.

1. advantage landscaping

advantage landscaping LawnSite Member

So I have heard a lot of really great things about Lesco. But, not their mowers.

I was told by my Scag dealer (which I know is a conflict of interest) that Lesco's go out to the lowest bidder each year for production, kind of like how toro does their cheapo mowers and all their handhelds.

I am looking at a used Lesco hydro walk to buy, which is why I ask. Anybody had experience with em or know someone and what they think? hoping I can get a common consensus on whether they are good or not.

Thanks guys!

SNAPPER MAN LawnSite Silver Member

That is not true at all. Lesco mowers are made by CTP(commercial turf products). CTP produces lesco and cubcadet commercial machines. I own a Cubcadet commercial mower and it is the exact same as the lesco. Lesco's are great machines and your dealer only told you that because he doesnt want to lose a sale because he knows the lesco is way cheaper than his scags. GET THE LESCO YOU WON'T REGRET IT.
  3. N.H.BOY

N.H.BOY LawnSite Bronze Member

Buy it for sure................
  4. MRGreenstuff

MRGreenstuff LawnSite Member

Don't own the hydro, but have been running 36 and 48 belt drives for 3 years and have had no problem at all. Plenty of power and lays down a very good stripe! I only do this part-time, 25 lawns and counting. If I had to do it all over again Lesco would be the way to go for me!
  5. T Total Lawncare

T Total Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from The deep south

Are yall not the least bit concerned telling him to buy a new one after they have been bought out by deere? Parts and service availability that is. "They" say it won't be a problem for now. But you know how "they" are. "They" will tell you anything to keep selling them.
  6. advantage landscaping

Okay that's what I was hoping to hear. For service - do you use the Lesco facility? Or do you have to go to a separate place for service? Also - for those who stripe do you have a kit or is it okay on its own?

I am looking at an 04' 48" hydro cut, 800 hours, great condition, with catcher, 17 hp kawi, for $2000. Seems like a good deal... Does the buy-out mean John Deere will now service these machines?
  7. advantage landscaping

The striping kit is my main concern because I have customers who pay more because they see my service and want their lawn to look striped. I know I could buy one but that defeats the purpose of the question. Also would you reccomend a sulky/velke for it?
  8. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

No worries, just about everything can be replaced with after market from belts to tires to spindles to pulleys to yokes and what you can't buy you can make:drinkup:
    ericg likes this.
  9. bigtex

bigtex LawnSite Member
    from ma

i've have a 36belt driven and its never needed service. keep up the regular maintenance and learn about the machine yourself (good knowledge if your going to be in this biz). 500 hours and counting. but to compare them to scag or the others its like this (a 2007 powerstroke diesel will look real good towing your trailor, but unless you've been in this biz for awhile and are very established $) a 1997 f150 will get the job done too and for alot less $
  10. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Lesco machines currently, (and for quite some time back) are Cub Cadet Commercial machines painted Lesco green. You can get any and all parts, except for decals, at any Cub Commercial dealer.
    In the future, probably this year, most Lesco equipment will be from J.D. Then you will pay through the nose for parts.