Lesco Viper with new deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lakegastonla, Jan 23, 2001.

1. lakegastonla

lakegastonla LawnSite Senior Member

I saw it!! The new deck on the Lesco Viper is a fabricated and hand welded deck made like the ones on their walk behinds. It is about time they improved the thing. With the new deck comes upgraded pulleys and spindles. The decks were the problem with earlier vipers.
    If this fixes the problem, then there will be a new contender(and price competitor) in the ztr market. I know the people who were so busy downing the vipers will still not be convinced, but I have seen the cut of their fabricated decks, and these things lay down some serious stripes!!
    48 , 52, or 60 inch decks available. 19 or 23 hp kawasaki's to choose from. Anybody who demos one, let me know. I am watching this mower with a RENEWED interest.
  2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

thats great news. I hope it holds true to your prediction.

my old 48 belt lesco would make me a nice profit today if I could get it on some grass.

3. Michael Fronczak

Michael Fronczak LawnSite Member

I have an old Viper, works well for me. Looking at the new ones dealer said they changed some 40 things. My problem is with the new prices quoted were the same (within $100-200), either way of Toro & Exmark. I won't pay the same amount for a newly designed machine, as I will for a proven design.

I spoke with the Exmark dealer, I DIDN"T LIKE HIM AT ALL, he was very arrogant, said they didn't give loaners, had a huge parts dept (funny when ever I go to get parts for small equip or briggs engines they NEVER have the parts), that was his reason for not giving loaners, said almost always had machines up within 24 hrs.

The Toro dealer commercial guy wasn't in. I have had mixed experiences with this dealer, counter help were jerks,service guys awesome, don't know about loaners.

In contrast with LESCO, I call with a problem, they have another unit ready for me, maybe not same unit, but what they have, either a demo unit or used one, for me to use.
    This is even when machine isn't under warranty.

I still have time, LESCO said they were having a sale in March.
  4. lakegastonla

I'll have to watch for that sale in march. I caught the same one last year, and bought 2 backpack blowers and 2 of the larger weed trimmers. These were the lesco branded items and I have had great service out of all of them. All are still running strong, start on first or second pull!!
  5. equipguy

equipguy Guest

You will really be impressed with the vipers new deck.
    The cut will mirror that of the LESCO walkbehind units.
    We have a LESCO Fab deck unit with well over 250 hours on it.
  6. Mitchell L Evans

Mitchell L Evans LawnSite Member
    from MS.

I think lesco is the most under rated equipment on the market today.I have two wb overthree years old and love them.But the vipers did have a few bugs but there still better than ex-mark because they have tapered roller bearings vs.sealed bearings and if you plan on keeping them until the motors go like i do the spindales are exspensive too.I'm glad to here that lesco is making changes to the decks because I'm thinking of buying two vipers this year.
  7. lakegastonla

Anybody had any "but time" on one of these new Vipers yet? I was told that the improvments did not stop with the
    deck. Can't wait to see one. E-mail me if you get to demo one.
  8. CCLC

CCLC LawnSite Senior Member

Go into your local Lesco and get them to strike you up a good deal. Lesco prices things in relation to the area that you are in. They can usually lower the price to meet your needs as well as make the sale. Our Lesco center here is great. While we haven't purchased any mowers from them we have bought 2 cycle stuff and lots of landscape supplies from them.
  9. tjslawncare

tjslawncare LawnSite Member

I just bought a 2001, 900 hrs, lesco 48" viper, 19hp and I really like it. :angel: Except backing up it's glitchy, jerky, or quarky however you want to put it. Is that normal? I got it for a good deal from a local guy out in my area (Central Minnesota, west of Minneapolis on Lake Minnetonka payup ). Except that I over bought, meaning it's to big for most of my customers. I really need a walk behind or stander and not a rider. Almost all my lawns are city lots where it takes about 5 circles with the Viper. Still getting used to it because I've had it less than 2 weeks. But I'm already looking at selling it and buying (hopefully) a stander. Anyone got advice for something smaller, :angry: but I hate pistol grips because I've had bad experiences with the belts getting wet and having constantly to squeeze hard and it gets tired after a while. :help: