1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Lesco vs. Cub Cadet

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JCee, Oct 14, 2005.

1. JCee

JCee LawnSite Member
    from NY

The ztwo and the tank 60inch ztr. Are these machines EXACTLY the same? All parts interchangeable, same everything? (minus minor cosmetics) Does anyone know this for sure for sure?? The dry weight is the same I know...Please help as I want to buy one soon...This weighs big on my decision. For some reason no cub dealer around me knows for sure...
  2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

They are made by the same company, We sold the tank for one season.
    I don't see any difference in the two only cosmetics.
  3. JCee

JCee LawnSite Member
    from NY

You say you "sold" the tank for one season. Did you stop for any special reason? Didnt like the tank? Please elaborate...
  4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Up until recently, they were all exactly the same. I could even de-code part numbers and get what I wanted from either supply chain.

However, there has been one change across the board to the 60" Cub.
    As I understand it, all of their units are now fitted with the Wide Track drive assembly. This is good for extra stability, but more so that that, it makes turning them easier, and easier on turf. However, the trade-off is giving up some trim capacity.

On the other hand, there is only one Lesco 60" with the Wide Track.
    The 28hp Generac 60" ... and oh... Lesco's seat is covered in light grey as opposed to black on the Cub. The other difference being engine choices. With Lesco you can only get a Kawasaki unless you go with the wide track 60" or 72"...

So I think it boils down to personal preference. Preference in dealer, preference in track width/trim capacity, preference in engine selection and lastly if there is a price difference.

Personally, as I voiced here before, I would have rather had the Cub because I was told the Wide Track 60" Lesco existed, then was told it did not... but after visiting my local Cub dealer and being impressed with the wide tack 60" Cub, their idea of doing business changed my mind.

So I went with the standard 25/60" Lesco instead... not knowing...
    But would have much rather had the 28/60" WT they told me did not exist.
  5. Restrorob

Well, I'm gonna be honest here. We sold Gravley, Case Ingersoll, Snapper Commercial then went to MTD Pro. The MTD just wouldn't hold up to commercial use so Boss seen the Tank and thought it was better built so he ordered in 5, Well the word had gotten out about the MTD and the Tank looked like the MTD so we had trouble selling them. Then a Dixie Chopper salesman pulled in with one on the trailer, Boss said WOW what a unit.
    He figured for a little more than a Tank one can buy a really good commerical unit so we've been selling the crap out of Dixies and have had no major issues with them. Here is a link if you care to take a gander at them. http://www.dixiechopper.com/commercial_.php

Good luck with your shopping.
  6. JCee

JCee LawnSite Member
    from NY

Envy, thanks for all your responses....I just went to lesco yesterday and they told me they have no idea about any other model then the ztwo with the 25hp kaw (nor do they show it on lesco's website). From specs and weight I feel that the Wide Track may just be what cub calls it?? They look exactly the same, but next time I go I will measure. You say up until recently they were the same...what model years would that include?

Restro--So what you are saying is it was kind of public perception that swayed the selling, not an actual performance problem?
  7. Cutter LLC

Cutter LLC LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I was also at lesco today and asked about the widetrack with the 28hp generac. He said he had no clue about this unit so I looked on there website and could not find it then did a search LS and found envy's post. Item # 709929 and I would like to know if they are still offering this unit to pair with my super mini z. 5399 is an unbelievable price to boot.
  8. Restrorob

Yes, I guess thats what happened. Boss ended up lowering the price to 100.00 over cost to get them off the floor, And all five went to home owners.
    3 out of towners and 2 local. The two locals still come in for regular service and I replaced a hydro belt on one this week but havn't had any major problems with them. So I don't know how they would fair in the commercial feild.

Take care.
  9. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

YES!!!! Lesco and Cub TANKS are exactly the same except for different paint. They are good as any Com mower on the market. We have 2 60"s and a 72". plus 52 inch Hyro W/B and a 36" Belt W/B.:)
  10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, that's the same BS I was fed from them. First I was told at GIE that it was available for 2005 when I enquired about it. Afterwards, one Lesco location told me it was not. So then I came here to Lawnsite and posted in the Lesco forum so I could clear up my confusion. You can find that post here where I was told that it must have been some mistake...

So after the Cub dealer ticked me off, I said screw it and went to a different Lesco location and just bought the standard 25/60 with the understanding that was my only option.

You will also see that a short time after buying, I was on Lesco.com just surfing everything under ZTR to check on parts and accessories availability and pricing. It was then that I stumbled across item number 709929... the WideTrack 28/60" there online.... the one that I wanted, for less money on top of it all..... and I have been disgruntled ever since.

You can find the link to this mower in that thread.
    But here it is also, and it's listed for $5,399 right now, which is an awesome deal.