1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Lesco Vs Halts

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Joey'sVee, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Joey'sVee

Joey'sVee LawnSite Member

I found some Lesco Pre-M at home depot and bought the 48 lb bag. I noticed the Lesco and the Halts (both without Nitrogen) had the same active ingredient but the Halts had a higher percentage of it. With that said why do some many people on this forum tell you to buy Lesco? Is it because they sponsor this site?

This

http://www.lesco.com/?PageID=27&ItemNumber=023961

vs

http://www.scotts.com/media/media/pd...bels/Halts.pdf

Thanks for the help everyone! I'm new to the site and I know y'all are pro's so hopefully I'm not asking stupid questions. :)

2. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Go to a lesco warehouse for your lesco products, then you don't have to pay Home Cheapo $3.00 more per bag for the same product!

3. Joey'sVee

So if they have the same ingredient but Halts is stronger why does everyone say get the Lesco at home depot instead of the Halts?

I thought I would get lots of responses on this thread. Wonder why nobody is responding...just curious. I bought and applied the Lesco but was surprised to see it was weaker than the Halts.

Thanks everyone!

4. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

Whats a bag of the scotts cost? Whats the % of Active ingredient in scotts. Your link doesn't work.
    -Jay

5. Shades of Green LService

Both are pendamethalin, probably the hardest pre emergent on grass roots and also pendi. Stains concrete. so make sure you have a blower or a broom ready.

6. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

If you'd go back to to the posts, and re-read, I believe we (I) said to go to HD or Lesco and get something with DIMENSION. If HD doesn't have Dimension, go to LESCO. HD used to carry a lesco product with dimension, perhaps it is something diff this year, regardless, look for Dimension.

7. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

There's nothing wrong with pendimethlin. Actually it's a broader spectrum preemergent than Barricade, and by far Dimension (meaning that it actually works for more types of weeds, i.e. Foxtail, Sandbur, Spurge, ect.

Granular Pendi. does NOT stain concrete, yes it will stain your spreader and your shoes and socks, but that's only if you apply a lot of it during the course of a day. One bag isn't going to turn you yellow for life. Liquid Pendi. is prone to staining concrete and anything else because it actually contains paint as the colorant, why, I do not know. Just what I was told.

Pendi. dosn't last as long in the soil as Dimension or Barricade. I would suggest putting it on 2 times in the spring, roughly 8 weeks apart. The second round you could go with some fertilizer too if you see fit.

8. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

Pendi has a well documented history of root pruning. Why anyone would want to put pendi on a turf once a year, let alone twice, is beyond me. The additional stress to the grass plant by root pruning is not something I'd want on a lawn during the summer when drought stress, insect, and disease pressures are at their highest. Dimension and Barricade were specifically developed to counter the shortcomings of Pendi and they are far superior products.

9. Joey'sVee

Great info!

Does anyone have a link to where I can mail order a bag of the dimension?

Thanks!

10. Shades of Green LService