Lesco vs. Solo

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RAlmaroad, Mar 6, 2007.

1. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

I have an old piston-type solo sprayer. It's on its last go round. We have a Lesco just moving into this area. Is there any real reason for going to the Lesco backpack vs. just another Solo. Thanks, Roy

2. ATVracer

ATVracer LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

I have not looked at them but I heard from a Lesco rep that they were both made by Solo.

3. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Yes, the lesco is produced by Solo.
    If you want a really good sprayer that wont leak on your back. Try the SP2. I think Northern tool carries them or try a Shemin's. They are a little more money but I think it was well worth it.

4. ampeg76

ampeg76 LawnSite Senior Member

what he said!

5. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Solo piston that was $120 back in 1985. It's never leaked a drop but I rebuilt the piston a few times over the years. At 22 years of age it still works well.

BUT..............

Something bad has happened to Solo as the current offering is a disaster of leaks & poor fit. Whether it is just the Lesco branded units I cannot say. The failure rate out of the box was about 30% a couple years ago. I've not heard of any major changes that would instill new confidence.

Where did the idea come from that lowering the price $30 over 22 years was even necessary?

6. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

Did a little research on that SP2 available at Northern Tools. It is "Tauted" to be leakproof. Will check it out in the next few days. Thanks

7. scweedman

scweedman LawnSite Senior Member

i like shindawa sprayers have had good results

8. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

I've got one of those mid-eighties dinosaurs myself. Never rebuilt it and it makes funky noises now, but no leak problems.

9. jose85

jose85 LawnSite Member

dont buy the lesco backpack they arent any good...the plastic breaks where the strips are at....my .02 cents

10. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with you Jose, I like the Sp models , but their straps are cheaply made.