Lesco w/b's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TJLC, Aug 20, 2002.

1. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I did a search but most of the threads were about 6 mths to a yr old. I am currently looking at the new Lesco w/b. It is a 48" hydro 17 Kawi electric start. It seems to be a nice improvement over previous models. The price new in the crate is about $3400.00 plus tax. I value opinions here so I need to know: Is it worth it or should I avoid Lesco mowers completely? I currently run Exmark but am growing tired of my dealers attitude when it comes to service. I appreciate any and all help I can get on this!

2. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

At least between the Lakeland and Tampa stores.
    Sounds like a great price. For a 48.
    I've got a Lesco 36 hydro WB and a Viper ZTR 54 and have no complaints. The WB has the Kaw. 15 twin. Lots of power.
    I know the mngrs. at both facilities here as well as the mechanic. Great bunch of people. Parts or repairs are never a problem.

3. Bill Davis

Bill Davis LawnSite Senior Member

Please, follow the guidelines.

4. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

I can't say anything about Lesco wb's but I can say that I like my Exmark and my dealer is ok.

5. superfert

superfert LawnSite Member

Bill you should be careful about your post on who makes or does not make LESCO mowers. The truth is that LESCO does make their mowers and they are made in Streetsbough OH. They are made in at factory call CTP "Commercial Turf Products" this is a joint venture between LESCO and MTD Commercial. The LESCO walkbehind that you see today is pretty much they same unit that LESCO built on their own is Sebring FL for many years prior to moving production to the north.
    How do I know this? I have been selling their equipment for 10 years. We have sold over 60 w/b's per year in one (1) location and they are one of the best selling mowers in the market. They handle heavy KB grass very well, bag great and parts are easy to get and the cost to operate them after the warranty expires (2 years engine and 1 year on the unit) is very reasonable.
    If you are dealing with a LESCO branch that has not explained these facts to you then shame on us. to verify any of the above statements please contact LESCO at 1-800-833-6855.
    Everyone deserves their opinion on the equipment out there but it should be done with facts not feelings.
    You will find it very hard to find a new mower at the price stated in this thread that has the quaility, reputation LESCO brings to the table.
    I will admit that service is very important and must be considered in your decision to make a purchase. Im not so sure that because you have the service done on site makes it better. What seems to really matters to our customer is that is done right the first time and does not take forever to get done.
    Phil

6. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Lesco 52" wb belt dr w 17 Kawi. The 52 cuts better than the 48. The 52 hydro w a Lesco sulky would be a better choice.

I've owned mine since 1996. The lesco is better built than my 52

Toro. The engine mount on Toro=1/8", on Lesco 3/16". Look close

my choice 52 hydro w 19 Kawi. Ed

7. KLMlawn

KLMlawn LawnSite Senior Member

Well, if you would like to make a comparison, the do it with apples and apples, compare the Lesco to an MTD commercial w/b, basically the difference is, one is painted Red and the other Green, not much else, even the Viper is basically a CubCadet TANK, from what I understand, personally I wouldn't buy either, unless someone was about giving them away.
    I am not saying that Lesco/MTD machines are that bad, they do give a decent cut and are, for the most part durable, but after you buy a Lesco, you will be married to Lesco so to speak for parts, or any Cub Cadet or MTD dealer. If you have those dealers close to you, go for it, but as I have heard so many times before on this site ... you get what you pay for !!!
    And I didn't just sell them, I uncrated them, preped them, worked on them, and helped fix them when dissatified customers would bring them back the first week of owning them.

8. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

We have used LEsco WBs for over 6 yrs. There like any machine , if you do maintance they last if you dont they wont. One machine had an engine go twice after 6yrs(try pulling almost 250ilbs and see how long you last) One is pushing 10 and is my favorite. Ny boss ust got a new one for almost 4000$. Customer service is there downfall . Our Lesco here stinks.I really like the machine but I wouldnt buy it, pistol grips are a pain!!

In short no one use Lesco but us, and our lawns look the best.

9. Grass will get cought in the upper corner of the discharge chute, you must fix this to keep from clumping.

You will want a welder handy to repair the crack that will be in the same spot as the grass catches on.

To remidy this, I welded a 2" baffle half way to the discharge side spindle seems to help the grass get out and keep it from cracking again.

We did try double blades and that seemed to help get the grass out also.

The 48" has a good reenforced front of the deck but the lack of anti-scalp rollers on it makes it dig from the front of the deck when you turn into hills.

The rubber coating on the OPS "WILL" hurt you between your thumb and finger, and the grips are not ergonomically correct, these will hurt your wrists if you use a velke.

The 17hp will show the lack of power in tall grass.

The belt engaugement wears our pretty quick, and have been told to remove belt and any tension when greasing it to keep from happening. Yeah Right, it is cheap and easily replaced.

Deck covers are noisy, slamming and banging all day will get to you.

Front castor zert fitting on the left castor will break off, due to it is the same castor frame as on the right side and should be on the inside so this wont happen.

Castor bushings wear out even with daily grease, but easy to replace.

When the PTO belt starts to get loose the blades will disengauge on their own, so you know it's time to tighten the belt. Also when you pass under low lying trees and bruches it will disengauge it also. This is one reason I perferr electric blade engaugement.

OPC has no adjustment so if you relax the mower wants to shut off.

Two stick tracking will never let you go straight each time and by the time you get done fooling with it you are done with the lawn.

I replaced all my hydro Lesco's with one inch wider tires and rims to take the touchiness out of them and give them better traction.

For a fixed deck hydro mower their price is pretty good, and they do hold up pretty well, and you need some fine tuning to get them the way they should be.

I have a 48" 52" hydro and a 36" belt drive that became a 36" hydro and the 48" became a belt drive. The 48" and 52" have been back up mowers for the last few years.

Lesco WB's can leave a pretty mean stripe when set up right.

Superfert, you listening?

BTW most mowers can be serviced by anyone who knows how and will. I have taken mowers to other dealers that don't sell that brand before. I think the hydro system on most of the WB's are relitivily the same bands.

Don't any of you guys work on your equipment your selves?

10. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Thank you to all who have responded to my question. I appreciate and will consider all opnions here. I am supposed to demo a Lesco 48" hydro 17 Kawi w/b this weekend so I can see for myself. I will then give my opnion on what I think of the Lesco machine. Again, thanks.