Lesco walk behind details

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Armando Conti, May 23, 2005.

1. Armando Conti

Armando Conti LawnSite Member

I'm going to purchase my first walk behind. Lesco seems to be a good value right now. Anyone out there have or know details of current models? I'm wondering if they are really dual hydros like Exmark, Ferris, etc. The big Lescos seem to be a real value with the size motor and wide deck for around $4k. Is there a hidden problem I'm not seeing? (Other than Lesco is upsetting everyone with their Home Depot fertilizer sales, a sore point I know).

Thanks in advance.

2. progolferjoe72

progolferjoe72 LawnSite Member

go for the 48 hydro, the dual hydros are really benifical especially for hills, i wouldnt hesitate one minute to buy their wbs, i thnk the 48 hyrdo around here runs close to 3500. Demo one and im sure you'll be pleased.

3. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

Armondo- I have the 48 in Hydro float deck and its a wonderfull mower. Cuts and if you are a fan of stripes it stripes great since it has a stock roller. It isnt pistol controll so your hands and arms wont hurt at the end of the day. Do a search of my name and you can see some pics of yards that are cut with my Lesco mowers. Good luck

4. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

Armando - before you buy a Lesco, do a search under my name and Lesco for a few of my previous posts about these mowers. I don't really have time to re-post all my info and opinions BUT you should really hear what I have to say before you think about buying one.

5. DynaMow

DynaMow LawnSite Senior Member

i have a 2 year old lesco 48 hydro w/b. great mower. never had a problem, some minor things that i could do myself, no problem for me.
    not happy with the fact that they are getting ready to central locate parts. so there will be no walk in emergency part availability, not good. service also some facilities do not have service, they ship equipment to another facility designated for service. they are based and built in norteast ohio which was one of the factors i purchased lesco. over all, all their equipment are quality machines. boy they have just about everything you need to do our work.

6. Armando Conti

Thanks for the comments. I did as the poster suggested and did a search......I did not like the periodic changes in the contractor to build these units, figured it would be hard to find parts sometime in the future. I bought a new Ferris 48" dual hydro instead.

Thanks again.

7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Smart choice.

8. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a MTD/Lesco 36inch hydro WB I bought new in 1999. Its a backup machine now, but we put a lot of hours on it. At the time it was designed basically from a Scag parts bin. Never had any major problems with it, still running.But they aint no Hustler, but then they cost less.

9. Armando Conti

I didn't think the Lesco would be a mistake, just that for the small price difference (got the dual hydro Ferris for $3,800) figured I'd get the Ferris, taking less risk. So, speaking of risk, a dealer I had made a call to then called me and said he had a dual hydro Encore, new, for $2,300. Now a risk for THAT much savings might have tempted me!

Thanks again for the replies.