Lesco Walk Behind With Floating Deck

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by serpico, Sep 4, 2007.

1. serpico

serpico LawnSite Member

I have an oppertunity to purchase a Lesco walk behind with floating deck mower. They no longer make the floating deck mower. Does anyone know if this is a good machine? Thanks for any help.

2. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

There's a good reason why Lesco stopped making a floating deck mower: Comptete incompetency in that arena. Incompetency also has a lot to do with the demise of that company in general ever since they left Rocky River and also why they have been recently been BOUGHT OUT (not merged with) John Deere this past spring.

3. serpico

serpico LawnSite Member

Thanks for the information. Do you have first hand experience with the lesco walk behind floating deck mower? What specifically is wrong with the mower?

4. LawnNeedz

LawnNeedz LawnSite Senior Member

I use to have one and thought it was a decent mower. The only reason that I sold it was because I need a rider. If I needed another walk behind and the price was right I would certainly consider it.

5. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

Well, I was a decade-long employee at the 'company eaten by a Deere' before the buy out (and I'm now on my own), and of all the hydro mowers we had sold during my tenure, those floating decks gave the customers the most fits in terms of eating belts, wierd pulley alighnment, castor wheels breaking off, shearing your knuckles putting the hydro belt on, etc. If it's a 'stamped' deck vs. a 'welded' or 'straight corner' deck, I, the ghost of Ebert, give it a double thumbs down! :laugh:

6. LawnNeedz

LawnNeedz LawnSite Senior Member

I never experience any of those problems with my wb. Maybe I got lucky!

7. serpico

serpico LawnSite Member

Marcos thanks for the additional information. LawnNeedz thanks for your comments, too.

8. jrc lawncare

jrc lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Had one. Kept it five hrs, hated the thing. Traded it in on another turf tracer hp.

9. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

I am in ma. and I have a few commercial John Deere 48" walk behinds doing nothing right now pm me if you are interested.