LESCO WB HYDRO Help needed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CC Lawncare, Aug 13, 2006.

1. CC Lawncare

CC Lawncare LawnSite Member

I need some feedback regarding your experiences with Lesco Hydro Walkbehinds. I have Bobcat and Great Dane but have heard that the Lesco's stripe heavily. Is that accurate? How do the hold up on the maintenance end? I am looking at the 52" and am not sure if I will go with a fixed or floating deck. Thus far, all WB's that I own have been fixed deck. Pros & Cons?:confused:

2. DynaMow

DynaMow LawnSite Senior Member

Well you must of just got Lesco's catalog with that special insert. I saw that the floating deck and fixed deck are priced the same.

THE FACTS:
    I own a 48" Lesco hydro w/b. Bought used w/ 400 hrs on it in March 2005, as of today it now has 1400 hrs on it. Only 2 mower related issues (have had other issues, but they involved the motor) which were the crankshaft pulley (deck and hydro belts) shattered, Lesco has since changed design of that pulley, the one on my unit was a one piece pulley and the one that is used now that I replaced mine with is a three piece with separate pulleys. And the hydro tensioner pulley has failed 3 times. As far as striping, look at the July striping thread, that is the mower I used to to achieve that look.

MY OPINION:
    They changed design which shows they have product control and improve where they have problems. The tensioner pulley i buy is an after market part so I am not sure if it is a Lesco problem. I change myself very easy so not an issue to me. The 2 guys that run my local Lesco store are idiots. Wouldn't even sell me the pulley parts because they weren't sure it would work on my mower, they didn't know that that pulley was updated and saw mine and refused to sell my the other one, yeah confused the crap out of me too. I had them give me part numbers of new pulley assembly and I ordered them on-line. If your local store does not have an on-site service department it could be an issue, I do all my own work so it isn't with me.

I would not hesitate to buy another one.

3. CC Lawncare

Thanks Craig. I have only bought a couple items from the lesco dealer and they were for the pesticide end of my biz. I had someone else pick them up so I have no idea if they service there or not. I usually take all service and preventative maintenance to my Bobcat dealer because I just don't have the time. He will service the Lesco for me also. Do you know what type of warranty Lesco mowers have? Is yours a fixed or float deck?

4. DynaMow

DynaMow LawnSite Senior Member

Fixed deck, I've never used a floating deck before, of any kind, but I got to beleive it has more advantages then disadvantages. Not sure of warranty. Did you see the units from that catalog and insert they have been sending out?

5. CC Lawncare

Yeah. they have customer appreciation days 8/21 - 9/02 and the catalog has the price reduced to $3699 for a 52" hydro. As you said, same cost whether fixed or floating! I also had a scratch-off card in the mailing that ending up giving me another 5% off. This seems too good to pass up.

6. CC Lawncare

The 52" floater has an articulating front axle that looks interesting also.

7. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

The 52 fixed had a problem with the deck. After a few seasons they would flex to the point that you could lift up on the handles and see the deck flex. Mechanic said it was common. Believed him as he had two in plus mine for the same thing. Replaced it with a 48 deck and was happy with it till I sold it this year. Major problem is parts. Or should I say lack of parts. Have a new 48 hydro on the trailer this year and have come to the conclusion that it will be the last Lesco I buy. Not a bad mower just better out there with better support.

8. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

I am not a fan of the lesco machines. However I will say that the fixed deck hydros are a much better made machine than the newer black floating deck things...

There is a reason they are the same price. You might get more features in the floating deck, but you also loose on quality of the machine.

I would stick with the Bobcats. If you are only looking for striping there may be a kit available for your current Bobcat. I know they have kits for the ZTR's but I am unsure of the walkbehinds. We are a dealer for them but I dont think I have ever been asked about striping by any of my customers....

9. D & J Lawn Care

D & J Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I had an older 52 lesco hydro with a 20hp kolher fixed deck it ran like a tank miner problems (like safty swith for blade engagment) and in tampa one mechanic working for dealership main focus is selling bags of products I wished i had a floating deck for cutting height mine had four spacers on the yolk arm and the other spacers are spindle so not easy range of height choices

10. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Lesco is a good mower at a excellent price. BUT, if you're service center is like mine, they farm out repairs and parts can be a problem to obtain. Our Lesco is great for buying ferts, herbicides, seed etc, support after purchasing their machinery is very much lacking.