Lesco WB mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Clewsew, Feb 12, 2002.

1. Clewsew

Clewsew LawnSite Member

I have been looking at purchasing a WB mower. I am wondering what your experiences are with the Lesco brand of mowers. What is the quality of the mower? I have a dealer in my area that seems to be a good one, but I don't want to have to take the mower in all the time either.

2. slplow

slplow LawnSite Senior Member

I own a 2000 52" hydro with 700 and somthing hrs on it . The cut is averge . The only problem I have had is the bars on the anti-scalp rollers bent one the second week of mowing.
  3. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 48" hydro. Cut quality is good. No problems really. Front caster shaft and bushing are too small. Wear out pretty fast. Sulky is useless if over 200lbs. Big mess changing oil. Only WB I have operated and I prefer to ride. Oh yea, you have to walk behind it. LOL
  4. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I think lesco should just stick to fertilizer....i have had 4 over the past 3 years and they were nothing but problems....after they all got stolen i went straight to bunton and great dane
  5. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

The biggest piece of advice i can give u is this, STAY AWAY FROM LESCO WB! I have a 48 lesco gear and its a 2001 model. Well it is supposed to be except the engine says it is a 1999 which i just found out. This machine cant cut for $#%^ no lie, i have tried different blades, different heights, bagging different baggers (steel and cloth) different rpms, took it to dealer. They did nothing for me. The belts dont shift well at all and the mower jumps when it is put into gear. It once started in gear (i accidently left it in gear on a hill and it almost took out my trailer and my lil brother (thank god no one was hurt) . i changed the oil on this and it almost went all over the wheel belts. I cannot sell this mower without taking a huge loss and the trade in value is over $1000 less than what i paid for it and it only has 25hrs on it and it has no dings or scratches etc. I have not had good experience with this mower and the only reason i got it was price. i wish i could have talked to lawnsite before this and i would have gone with toro or exmark. do yourself a favor and spend a little more and get a good machine. This machine is made by mtd which in my experiences means crap machine. Another thing that makes me hate this mower is the excessive blowout due to no front baffles. i put this mower side by side with a large lco's exmarks and there was minimal blowout in dry conditions. dont get a lesco!
  6. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

I believe Lesco does just stick to fert. Their mowers are MTD Pros. I guess it's obvious why they painted them green and put Lesco's name on it.
  7. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes MTD does make the mowers for Lesco, but it is still Lescos originally designed products which is the problem. And What i was trying to say is they should just stick to fert at there service centers, there mechanics all suck and they never have parts in stock and even if they did have it in stock it would just break agian. I belive a lot of guys would agree with me when i say that Lesco is the K-Mart brand of Commercail mowers
  8. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 52 Lesco belt drive bought it 1996. Its a fixed deck
    mower. I do most repairs nothing major. The 52 cuts better than the48. WHEN some thing breaks I fix it. Usually buy parts at Lesco. A friend bought a 48 abouthe same time has not been back. The height of cut is a combination of spindle and castor
    heights. Similiar to other fixed deck machines. Ed
  9. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

All above good advise. One good thing not mentioned is if your Lesco mower breaks they give you a loaner while your is out. I personally do not like pistol grips, used a BobCat when I first started and woke in the mornings with numb hands. Since buying my Great Dane Scamper those problems have gone.

If you are planning on using this as your primary mower consider getting a mower with a system less stressfull on your wrist, Great Dane, Hustler, Exmark are the three brands I can think of with systems different than pistol grips.
  10. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

but the older models were great machines. I'm still using one.

that machine is tough. it cuts good, is reliable, pulls good in wet grass and I'd buy another one like mine in a minute.

there is some blowout in the front which is a pisser if you try to mulch leaves in dry conditions.

this time of year they are always pushing the hydro unit with a 17 kaw for about $3400. that price makes it worth looking at.